• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK versus Ireland (i.e. not Germany) approach to Covid-19

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    Even a developing country Iran is doing better than UK. its population is 80 million and corona related deaths are 5000
    They shut down pubs real quick

Comment

Article on this today for those not easily triggered.

Why is coronavirus killing so many more people in the UK than in Ireland? | Elaine Doyle | Opinion | The Guardian

Comment

Stop talking down the UK
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          An alternative view from sky news earlier. UK was unlucky to get the virus earlier.

Not many are doing as well as Germany/South Korea.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Stop talking down the UK
            Confidence is critical. It would be easy to talk the country into a pandemic.

Comment

Some observations. I'm working as part of the Irish health system's COVID-19 response and I spent a long time working in the NHS previously.

1. Ireland started off with a significant disadvantage in terms of its health system. It is a good deal worse than the NHS.
              2. Ireland has advantages when it comes to population density. Also, while Dublin is a highly internationally connected city, it is nowhere near London.
              3. The Irish system's response has been similarly challenged in terms of testing and PPE.
              4. The social restrictions be appear to be much better defined and organised in Ireland than in the UK.
              5. If you compare RoI (334 deaths) vs NI (124 deaths) they are approximately proportionate for the populations, so it's hard to see from that that RoI measures are more effective than UK measures. But just as there is a large London cluster in the UK, there is a large Dublin cluster in Ireland. Probably difficult to sort through the noise and confounding factors.
              This is the key for me - look how it's swept through New York, yet you can imagine Hicksville, Montana hardly being affected. If nobody comes into contact with "outsiders" there's nobody to introduce the infection. There's an over-amplified version of this in play on Sentinel Island in the Indian Ocean with an indigenous species who shun outside contact violently.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                This is the key for me - look how it's swept through New York, yet you can imagine Hicksville, Montana hardly being affected. If nobody comes into contact with "outsiders" there's nobody to introduce the infection. There's an over-amplified version of this in play on Sentinel Island in the Indian Ocean with an indigenous species who shun outside contact violently.
                My cousin lives there and he got it.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  My cousin lives there and he got it.....
                  From his sister....
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

I'd agree with that, the relative sparsity and remoteness of most of the RoI certainly has an impact, I'm Irish (RoI) originally and my mother and sister went into serious lockdown 1st week march, so much so that all RC masses (lol) are now televised daily, so more sermons & prayers than you can shake a stick at!, Roi smaller population and more compliant with Gov directives overall, you're just always going to have variations with such a large population in the UK, I would however say that message discipline has been not as good as it should be in the UK, lets just be thankful we're not under Trump.

Early to say if we're passed the peak, early to say anything to be fair - my Team is based Lux, UK, Nice, Sydney and they're all still in lockdown (except Syd) until for another month May 11th , RoI is now 5th May, I'd expect the UK to say 1st week in May at a minimum sometime later this week.

Back a few years ago, ROI took foot & mouth much more seriously and with a sense of urgency I recall, Uk looked (notice I say it looked) less so much to the detriment of some farmers. I think it's overall easier to get a smaller country of 4-5 mil to mobilise quicker than a country of 65 + mil ?

btw my office window used to look over 25R at heathrow!!!!, lol contracting in aviation I've picked another contract winner!! yay for me.......again ...... shoud'a'stayed-in-investment-w*nking-dooh

cheers

Barely

Comment

5. If you compare RoI (334 deaths) vs NI (124 deaths) they are approximately proportionate for the populations, so it's hard to see from that that RoI measures are more effective than UK measures...
                      There is one other thing about this - RoI & NI have actually for once done some joined up thinking and accepted that viruses don't respect borders. Some cross-border work has been done in an attempt to help.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X