• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK versus Ireland (i.e. not Germany) approach to Covid-19

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK versus Ireland (i.e. not Germany) approach to Covid-19

How come Ireland is doing so much better? Our nearest neighbour?

https://twitter.com/laineydoyle/stat...Yu-HhqHihTZtjo

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Boris is mini-Trump, minus very large American manufacturing capacity (and influence to get stuff needed from airport tarmac if needed)

Comment

Yes, but we won at the potato famine.

Comment

Eventually we will all get COV19. The UK will be out of the crisis earlier than most.

Comment

The real problem is the mentality of the British people. I keep hearing everybody scoffing at China getting the situation under control and disbelieving their numbers but the harsh reality is:

- British people have issues listening to authorities. And it's not surprising given the lack of punishment that people actually experience breaking the curfew. What exactly do people have to be afraid of? Pathetic fines (after 3-4 warnings)? I know a few people who are openly parading that 'they aren't under no lockdown' etc. India's approach works in this case - just beat them with sticks. Or throw them all together into one big jail until the whole covid thing blows over. Some people can't be reasoned with - they understand brute force only, caveman style.
          - Britain is incapable of looking after its own people. The whole great big UK economy (#2#3 or whatever it is in the world) is really a blown-up myth. Once the supply chains collapsed it revealed the reality of the situation - there is no manufacturing going on in UK of the basic necessities. I mean take the food itself - UK would simply not be able to feed its own people - 50% of the food is imported. Which medications are made in UK?
          - Other countries (China specifically) have had previous experiences which forces people to take things seriously. Just look at all the infrastructure of tracking people who are ill that's in place in Wuhan? Temperature checks etc. Where as in UK you are advised to 'wash your hands'
          - Let's face it, people who voted in Boris - you all ****ed up. When it came to the wire - conservatives put the economy before the people with this whole bulltulip herd immunity approach (which was not backed up by science in any way as there was and still isn't any evidence that it is not possible to catch covid twice).

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
            The real problem is the mentality of the British people. I keep hearing everybody scoffing at China getting the situation under control and disbelieving their numbers but the harsh reality is:

- British people have issues listening to authorities. And it's not surprising given the lack of punishment that people actually experience breaking the curfew. What exactly do people have to be afraid of? Pathetic fines (after 3-4 warnings)? I know a few people who are openly parading that 'they aren't under no lockdown' etc. India's approach works in this case - just beat them with sticks. Or throw them all together into one big jail until the whole covid thing blows over. Some people can't be reasoned with - they understand brute force only, caveman style.
            - Britain is incapable of looking after its own people. The whole great big UK economy (#2#3 or whatever it is in the world) is really a blown-up myth. Once the supply chains collapsed it revealed the reality of the situation - there is no manufacturing going on in UK of the basic necessities. I mean take the food itself - UK would simply not be able to feed its own people - 50% of the food is imported. Which medications are made in UK?
            - Other countries (China specifically) have had previous experiences which forces people to take things seriously. Just look at all the infrastructure of tracking people who are ill that's in place in Wuhan? Temperature checks etc. Where as in UK you are advised to 'wash your hands'
            - Let's face it, people who voted in Boris - you all ****ed up. When it came to the wire - conservatives put the economy before the people with this whole bulltulip herd immunity approach (which was not backed up by science in any way as there was and still isn't any evidence that it is not possible to catch covid twice).
            At least the British listened when being told not to eat raw bat.

Manufacturing is cheaper in China as China has lower health&safety standards as it does not look after its people. Sadly this only benefits the rich in the West - something the Labour party seemed happy to go along with.

AS for Boris voters, who would you rather have in power now? There would have been no need for austerity if Labour had not spent all the money....

Comment

Some sockies on this forum got real problem with respecting authorita

Comment

Some observations. I'm working as part of the Irish health system's COVID-19 response and I spent a long time working in the NHS previously.

1. Ireland started off with a significant disadvantage in terms of its health system. It is a good deal worse than the NHS.
                2. Ireland has advantages when it comes to population density. Also, while Dublin is a highly internationally connected city, it is nowhere near London.
                3. The Irish system's response has been similarly challenged in terms of testing and PPE.
                4. The social restrictions be appear to be much better defined and organised in Ireland than in the UK.
                5. If you compare RoI (334 deaths) vs NI (124 deaths) they are approximately proportionate for the populations, so it's hard to see from that that RoI measures are more effective than UK measures. But just as there is a large London cluster in the UK, there is a large Dublin cluster in Ireland. Probably difficult to sort through the noise and confounding factors.

Comment

Even a developing country Iran is doing better than UK. its population is 80 million and corona related deaths are 5000

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                    Even a developing country Iran is doing better than UK. its population is 80 million and corona related deaths are 5000
                    I wouldn't have much faith in transparency in Iran.

Comment

Working...
                    X