• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK sex workers in 'dire and desperate' need amid coronavirus lockdown

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    In what way is having "no other skills to sell" not subjugation through the lack of opportunity?
    A very selective quote. Are you suggesting that Tesco should pay £150 per half hour?

I am subjugated by not having the skills to be Prime Minister - where do I complain?

<I await predictable comment from Old Smeg about other things I don't have the skillset for>

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      A very selective quote. Are you suggesting that Tesco should pay £150 per half hour?

I am subjugated by not having the skills to be Prime Minister - where do I complain?

<I await predictable comment from Old Smeg about other things I don't have the skillset for>
      I chose the pertinent quote; I'm not sure why you would think that it's not. And you've spun away from the point: that the person wants (needs?) more money than can be provided by the skills/education that they have and so will now sell their body. That would seem to be a very poor definition of "choice".
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Failed marriages - Tick
        Not a clue how to run the country - Tick
        Known to ride a bicycle - Tick

I'd say you have the perfect skills.
        England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
          Failed marriages - Tick
          Not a clue how to run the country - Tick
          Known to ride a bicycle - Tick
          History of a failed bombing campaign against the civil service - Tick

I'd say you have the perfect skills.
          Addition made.

Comment

I chose the pertinent quote; I'm not sure why you would think that it's not. And you've spun away from the point: that the person wants (needs?) more money than can be provided by the skills/education that they have and so will now sell their body. That would seem to be a very poor definition of "choice".

Plenty of people choose not to sell their body and work for supermarkets. There are plenty who work for supermarkets and go to college/Uni to develop skills.

The reason the pay is £150 a half hour is that there is not sufficient supply to drive the price down. If every supermarket worker decided to become a prostitute i would expect prices to fall.

Now I am sure there is plenty of exploitation driven by drugs or trafficking but there are also people who do choose the life.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

In what way is having "no other skills to sell" not subjugation through the lack of opportunity?
              Your definition of subjugation is so wide, that you could not do any job in the UK without being subjugated. So by that definition, working in Tescos is subjugation. But someone has to work there

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine man View Post
                Your definition of subjugation is so wide, that you could not do any job in the UK without being subjugated. So by that definition, working in Tescos is subjugation. But someone has to work there

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                Prostitution is to rape what employment is to wage slavery.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  Plenty of people choose not to sell their body and work for supermarkets. There are plenty who work for supermarkets and go to college/Uni to develop skills.

The reason the pay is £150 a half hour is that there is not sufficient supply to drive the price down. If every supermarket worker decided to become a prostitute i would expect prices to fall.

Now I am sure there is plenty of exploitation driven by drugs or trafficking but there are also people who do choose the life.
                  It really depend on one's interpretation of "choice". And how one arrives at that choice. I take the view that choices that negatively impact one's well-being are driven by deeper emotional issues; others look no further that freewill and move along.

Who is to say who is right. I know that I'm comfortable with my position.
                  ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine man View Post
                    Your definition of subjugation is so wide, that you could not do any job in the UK without being subjugated. So by that definition, working in Tescos is subjugation. But someone has to work there.
                    Not quite, but I can see how one could tend to that extreme in order to try to win this particular argument. But note: a job, any job, working for a employer comes with opportunity should one be inclined to look for and make use of it. Prostitution? Not so much.
                    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

It really depend on one's interpretation of "choice". And how one arrives at that choice. I take the view that choices that negatively impact one's well-being are driven by deeper emotional issues; others look no further that freewill and move along.

Who is to say who is right. I know that I'm comfortable with my position.
                      I am not comfortable telling people what they can or can't do willingly if it does not hurt another. If they aren't doing it willingly or it hurts another then the law has to step in.

Morally it is your body do with it as you will within reason.

Accusing users of rape or condemning the practice because you find it morally or religiously objectionable is not reasonable.

That said I would have a hard time if one of my children announced it as a career decision. Though it could be worse they could become a labour MP!
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X