• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Covid 19 - Things that should be (or have been) done but aren't

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Given that almost *everyone* will get the Virus and those that survive will have produced their own anti bodies what steps have been taken that should not have been?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post

People in Britain are sick to death with experts.
      Tell me about it! I'm sick of the pompous twats starting every sentence with "So"

Mind you, one of them made an excellent point the other day about the need to deploy more iron lungs.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
        Given that almost *everyone* will get the Virus and those that survive will have produced their own anti bodies what steps have been taken that should not have been?
        And what evidence have you seen that says the antibodies produced are definitely effective?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Tell me about it! I'm sick of the pompous twats starting every sentence with "So"
          So would you like some kind of trigger warning to cocoon your fragile mental health?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            And what evidence have you seen that says the antibodies produced are definitely effective?
            Exactly.
            The long term duration of anti-bodies and their effectiveness against the expected future mutations of the virus are currently unknown.

I disagree with Nigel's assertion that we'll all get the virus. I've had it, but I'm hopeful that a vaccine late next year will prevent those with underlying conditions - 40-50% of the UK population - will be able to avoid the virus and rely on the vaccine.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post

So would you like some kind of trigger warning to cocoon your fragile mental health?
              Nice try, but I'm totally relaxed about _your_ So, because your reply was a logical follow on from my post.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Nice try, but I'm totally relaxed about _your_ So, because your reply was a logical follow on from my post.
                Thanks for the update on your mental state.

Comment

I disagree with Nigel's assertion that we'll all get the virus. I've had it, but I'm hopeful that a vaccine late next year will prevent those with underlying conditions - 40-50% of the UK population - will be able to avoid the virus and rely on the vaccine.
                  Whether you get the anti bodies naturally or via a vaccine is immaterial. As the saying goes what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

I've also had it and my wife also, before the sensational reporting. She is very high risk having a compromised immune system. We tucked our selves up in bed with plenty of symptomatic relief and both out the other side now. All of the measures so far are to alleviate the strain on the NHS. All of the evidence I've seen on the (again much reported) mutations show that it gets weaker with each mutation. This has also been debated in these hallowed halls.

Comment

Whether you get the anti bodies naturally or via a vaccine is immaterial. As the saying goes what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
                    It's classed as an old saying because it's nonsense.

Just as "what is for you will not go by you" is also stupid: you're in charge of shaping your future, there is no destiny.

Many SARS sufferers never recover the loss of lung capacity. Why do old men love to adopt random phrases just because they sound decent audibly? It's incredibly weird but is thankfully useful for quickly identifying those who are unable to think straight. Your wife is immunocompromised and any major illness she suffers from will make her stronger? GTF, that's horsetulip.

Anyway the anti-bodies of you/her/both may disappear and you may be reinfected again soon; but in your world that's all good news as long as it doesn't kill you - unless it does kill you, of course. FFS.

Comment

Well, I hate to correct you, but there's a massive difference between getting antibodies through infection with the live virus, versus getting them through treatment with a controlled vaccine.

Also, you can only be stronger when you've made a full recovery.
                      Someone who gets a virus but has not fully recovered before coming down with it again is most certainly not "stronger" in the sense of being able to cope with it.

The idea that someone with a weakened immune system, damaged lungs and exhaustion is somehow "strong" is incorrect.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X