• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tired of the UK NOT tired of life

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
    Agree.

I don't advocate abandoning your local area entirely; come back now and again and when you see improvement then move back in. People did this in the 1990's and after 2007 and it'll happen again.

The NHS is good but the numerous layers of management bureaucracy do need trimmed. Reward the good people, get rid of the bad ones. Some managers earn more than the frontline staff for what is arbitrary work.

I'd like to think people are empowered to change the stupification that you highlight but it's not going to be possible any time soon. Even those earning a decent wage are shown up for being idiots, so what chance is there for change when half the country, medium to large company owners, teachers (etc) are on the side of misinformation? There's not really much you can do except talk with your feet.

Constructive criticism is now received badly, whereas before it was taken on board. We have a form of populist government in power and England went along for the ride; the press are on board. There's not much can be done. There are plenty of temporary expats who still post on this forum. For ease of acquiring decent work: Germany
    For lifestyle: Denmark, Sweden or, if you like the outdoors world, Norway. If you're young and easily adaptable: France or the Netherlands.
    Thanks for the tip Roger, I'll do some research now my current contracts been cancelled. I'd be tempted to add Canada to that list, haven't been but hear very good things.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Reminds me of when I was in the UK, and we got a guy from the Philippines over on secondment. When he started, it was 12 hour days... by the end of the year, he was joining in the two hour Friday beer swilling lunches, fifty minute coffee breaks, seven hour days...

We ruined him for the Philippines.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Reminds me of when I was in the UK, and we got a guy from the Philippines over on secondment. When he started, it was 12 hour days... by the end of the year, he was joining in the two hour Friday beer swilling lunches, fifty minute coffee breaks, seven hour days...

We ruined him for the Philippines.
        That's funny. Filipino nurses have a reputation for being very hard working.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
          Same for my wife, she literally is making less than she was 10 years ago. Barely minimum wage as a lecturer at a big name school. Even worse, she is on a 3 day week and they give her so much work (and she actually cares about her work) that she works at least one extra day a week for free. It's disgusting.
          Really? My sister-in-law makes ~£50k as a University Lecturer. That's nowhere near minimum wage. What's your Mrs doing wrong?
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Shackattack View Post
            sources that use simple wording for simple people. .
            I share your exasperation. Having said that, less than half of the population are simple Homo Brexitis. I agree that leaves a truly shocking number of idiots floating about the place causing trouble wherever they intellectually stumble but you can still carve out a half decent life protected to a degree. Also this is a human disorder, not something unique to the UK. I have no reason to suppose any other country is any better. In fact almost certainly they are noticeably worse.
            "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
              I share your exasperation. Having said that, less than half of the population are simple Homo Brexitis. I agree that leaves a truly shocking number of idiots floating about the place causing trouble wherever they intellectually stumble but you can still carve out a half decent life protected to a degree. Also this is a human disorder, not something unique to the UK. I have no reason to suppose any other country is any better. In fact almost certainly they are noticeably worse.
              What's that saying about when everyone around you is an idiot...
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The perspective from abroad is that the UK is most certainly declining from a 2nd rate country to a 3rd rate one.
                Herd immunity U-turn, shambolic testing, not enough PPE, the Health minister blaming medics for overusing PPE (WTF!!), the daily propaganda that avoids saying anything of substance.
                Covid will be the coup-de-grace for the Uk economy.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

In fairness similar results can be seen wherever Murdoch's populist media spreads, like a cancer.

If anything good comes out of the next downturn it's an end to his empire. I'm all for free speech... but when it becomes populist propaganda.. as it Joseph Goebbels that once said, tell a lie often enough and it becomes the truth.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    What's that saying about when everyone around you is an idiot...
                    ...you're better than them?
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                      Really? My sister-in-law makes ~£50k as a University Lecturer. That's nowhere near minimum wage. What's your Mrs doing wrong?
                      Apparently she's working at the wrong University.

Comment

Working...
                      X