• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Only the healthy will be treated - COVID-19 DECISION SUPPORT TOOL

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only the healthy will be treated - COVID-19 DECISION SUPPORT TOOL

COVID-19 DECISION SUPPORT TOOL
    The F1 team is dropping out of manufacturing ventilators and Dyson is not getting anywhere with its design, Bojo hasn't a clue what he should do
    so the NHS has to ration treatment by giving it to the young and healthy.

http://prod-upp-image-read.ft.com/76...4-daa3def9ae03
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Sounds like a plan. Lets lift the lockdown now and get back to normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      so the NHS has to ration treatment by giving it to the young and healthy.
      The NHS has always rationed healthcare. They just don't talk about it much.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        This .....

We have first hand experience of this ... there are drugs for my wife's illness, no cure but drugs that can slow the progression of the illness and prolong life. These drugs though are only given to certain people based on how far their illness has progressed. My wife is at the wrong end of the scale so no drugs for her. She has palliative care only, pain killers etc but nothing that will reduce the disease progression or prolong life, it's all about symptom management only to keep the sufferer as 'happy' as possible during their final years.

Saying that though, we live in a county that gives great palliative care so she has help from sectors of the NHS that, if we lived 5 miles down the road in a different county we wouldn't have access to. So in that respect we're much better off than others.

'tis the way it is. The NHS only has so much resources so it can only treat those who will benefit the most. Harsh when you're the ones not getting the treatment, great for those that do. We could get all sh1tty about it, but what's the point? Life's too short already, why worry about what you can't control?
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Well, kind of. When it comes to acutely sick patients, really the only grounds for refusing admission to a critical care bed is typically futility (e.g. an unsurvivable head trauma, in the opinion of a senior neurosurgeon following a brain scan). IF there isn't a critical care bed available, acutely sick patients will be ventilated in a side room in ED or Theater suite. There is an ongoing problem with scheduled surgery (e.g. for cancer) being cancelled, sometimes repeatedly, as there is no available critical care bed for post-surgical care.

Systematic refusal of treatment of acutely sick people due to 'rationing' is not something I've heard off. It could be justified in a public health emergency but I'm not sure it will come to that. Having said that, it's not clear what is going on in residential centres like nursing homes.

Comment

I'm in the green. What else matters?
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Well, kind of. When it comes to acutely sick patients, really the only grounds for refusing admission to a critical care bed is typically futility
                Agreed that this is a different type of rationing, but even before that kind of triage, while admitted, you might well not get the inc drugs that will prolong your life for six months.

There's only so much money to go around.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Hey if its green next it drops off!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It's called triage, healthcare all over the world do it.

It's just a stark realisation when seen written down
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X