• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ways to beat coronavirus after lockdown

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Builders, plumbers, sparkies, chippies, etc all live by cash. The number of people I know that work in the trade, live in big houses and drive flash motors that have never made a profit on paper is incredible......
    Not where we live - always get an invoice from tradesmen and always pay via bacs. Even our gardener, who only charges £10 per hour wants to be paid via bacs and not cash.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
      Yes, except I got in so early it wasn't actually hoarding. The shelves were still full and %99 of people hadn't figured out what was coming so my shopping didn't stop anyone else from getting anything. In fact, it was helpful because when there was an actual shortage of TP I didn't need to buy.

Does anyone remember the post on here about what kind of things the people missed during the siege of Sarajevo? After reading that I immediately went out shopping.
      Irrespective of timing, hoarding is hoarding
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        In the same way that Brexit means Brexit?

Would it be wrong to stock up on toilet paper now? Every store is awash in toilet paper, I could take home 25 packs and it wouldn't stop one person from buying anything.
        I've said it before, this demonization of "greedy hoarders" as the reason that shelves are empty was a distraction for the simple minded. The real reason was a failure of the supply chains because the grocery stores built them inadequate in order to save money.

Comment

Not where we live - always get an invoice from tradesmen and always pay via bacs. Even our gardener, who only charges £10 per hour wants to be paid via bacs and not cash.
          Yep last time I used a plumber it was bacs.

Cash is too hard to deposit.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

It doesn't mean it's always 'a bad thing'. Context is important.

Comment

Working...
            X