• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Covid=19 prevention

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Covid=19 prevention

I'll probably have all the CUK virology experts on my case for this but ..

The virus affects only the lungs, right? So as a prophylactic, why not inject a small dose somewhere else in the body?

That way, the body's immune system would learn to recognise it and store an antibody template for future use, without the virus causing any adverse symptoms.

(I presume the virus can't travel far through the bloodstream and make its way to the lungs. Or maybe there are body areas one could choose to minimise the chance of that.)

See? Why spend billions on research when all you have to do is ask OwlHoot?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Can't believe nobody either pulled me up on this or congratulated me for a blinding idea!

It could work I reckon

One day, it may be possible to enclose viral samples in a clathrate nano cage, where they can interact with the immune system, so antibodies can be produced, but they cannot enter cells.
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 18 April 2020, 09:55.

Comment

The lungs oxygenate the blood and remove CO2 from it. Injecting viruses into the bloodstream will cause them to end up in the lungs in pretty short order. It takes typically 45 seconds for blood to circulate throughout your entire body.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

The lungs oxygenate the blood and remove CO2 from it. Injecting viruses into the bloodstream will cause them to end up in the lungs in pretty short order.
        Not necessarily According to http://www.columbia.edu/itc/hs/medic...lpathNotes.pdf :

The skin of most animals is an effective barrier against viral infections, as the dead outer layer cannot support viral growth (Fig. 4). Entry through this organ occurs primarily when its integrity is breached by breaks or punctures. Replication is usually limited to the site of entry because the epidermis is devoid of blood or lymphatic vessels that could provide pathways for further spread.
        So once a shallow skin innoculation or "scrape" is made, the Skin Immune System could get to work :

The immune system of the skin has elements of both the innate (nonspecific) and adaptive (specific) immune systems. Immune cells inhabit the epidermis and dermis. ..

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Not necessarily According to http://www.columbia.edu/itc/hs/medic...lpathNotes.pdf :

So once a shallow skin innoculation or "scrape" is made, the Skin Immune System could get to work :
          A vaccine already exists but it will take 12 months to test and get to market. Some scientists will also be looking at using live viruses as they originally did with smallpox.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Preferably you need a very weak version of the virus before doing that. i.e. a vaccine.

Until it is widely available we'll be bouncing through lock down after lock down. Then we can get you know what done.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

It’s too new (novel) - immune system does not recognise it till rather late...

Esrly testing seems to suggest that those who had it mild don’t have (a lot of) antibodies, could be something else that stops the virus in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Can't believe nobody either pulled me up on this or congratulated me for a blinding idea!

It could work I reckon

One day, it may be possible to enclose viral samples in a clathrate nano cage, where they can interact with the immune system, so antibodies can be produced, but they cannot enter cells.
                The fact that you reckon something would work is a strong indicator that it probably wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  The lungs oxygenate the blood and remove CO2 from it. Injecting viruses into the bloodstream will cause them to end up in the lungs in pretty short order. It takes typically 45 seconds for blood to circulate throughout your entire body.
                  With the reports about ventiliators and the mucus covering the lungs, they have likened it to the bends or altitude sickness. So increased oxygen may be the answer. I wonder if those 'oxygen' bars that closed down during the lockdown would be a good idea :-)
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Guinea pig?
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X