• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any maths / statistics whizzes here?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any maths / statistics whizzes here?

I am looking to see if I can extrapolate some numbers based on the information set I have.

If a sample is 100% and each week 0.4% "do a thing", how long would it take on average for all (or at least a statistically significant number) the people to do "the thing", I assume it's not as simple as 100 / 0.4 = X number of weeks
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Not quite.

Week 1 would be 0.4. Week 2 would be 0.4 from week 1 plus 0.4 from week 2 so 0.8. week 3 would be 1.2 and so on.

Determining statistical significance requires knowing how big the sample size is

I'm assuming that people only need to do the thing once and so are counted towards the cumulative total of people doing the thing

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      I am looking to see if I can extrapolate some numbers based on the information set I have.

If a sample is 100% and each week 0.4% "do a thing", how long would it take on average for all (or at least a statistically significant number) the people to do "the thing", I assume it's not as simple as 100 / 0.4 = X number of weeks
      Is a member of the sample group as likely to do the thing in any week if they have done it in a previous week?

Comment

HTH
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Who are you doing "the thing" to, have they consented, and have all legal requirements been met?

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

You'd need to take in to account if they are lazy feckless southerners doing the thing in which case most won't or can't but if it was some pure bred northern hard men it would be twice as fast with half the people and be done properly.

If it's going off shore then it's going to take three times as long with ten times more people doing it and for some obscure reason would never finish.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Are you saying that if it was 1000 people,
              Week 1: 4/1000
              Week 2: because 4 were involved last week, they are no longer counted, so it's 4/996
              Week 3: 4/994
              ...etc

Or are you saying that it's always a random 4/1000 that do it. It could be the same 4 people, or 4 different ones.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Assuming the number of people ‘do a thing’ decrease each week as your sample size is reduced.

week 1: population * 0.4 = n

week 2: (population - week 1 n) * 0.4 and so on… until you solve for 0
                Last edited by scooterscot; 17 April 2020, 14:54.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

This thread is going to run and run with all sorts of idiotic "experts" I can feel it already.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    This thread is going to run and run with all sorts of idiotic "experts" I can feel it already.
                    Is this a gut feel or your expert opinion?

Comment

Working...
                    X