• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Belgium and UK have the highest COVID case fatality rates (CFR)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

In Germany I am told hospitals are empty, their expected surge didn't happen and they have the highest ratio of ICU and hospital beds in Europe.
    Indeed heard from a friend of mine who is a nurse working through an agency, her services are not required. The wards are empty.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      In Germany I am told hospitals are empty, their expected surge didn't happen and they have the highest ratio of ICU and hospital beds in Europe.
      I suspect that certain figures for Germany will go up, in fact they already are. The number of infections and deaths are already slowly increasing although this may plateau out soon but the good news is that the number of recoveries is going up at a higher curve than infections. The infection rate is now below 0,7 which is very good.
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Not great news here about Sweden's more relaxed approach. (Unless you're one the many who wants a cull of us old farts)

Anger in Sweden as elderly pay price for coronavirus strategy | World news | The Guardian

Better news about Portugal. Credits faster reaction to the problem and an improved health service in recent years.

Swift action kept Portugal's coronavirus crisis in check, says minister | World news | The Guardian
        Last edited by xoggoth; 19 April 2020, 18:39.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Nursing and care home deaths are the elephant in the room. Not just in the UK.
          Elephants in care homes? No wonder they're having problems with PPE ....
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Cut and pasted but can't find the original now:

Germany has been held up as an example of where Europe got the response to tackling the coronavirus right, despite having a bigger population than the United Kingdom.

The European country has declared its coronavirus outbreak under control, as it prepares to take its first steps out of lockdown next week, with a partial reopening of schools and smaller shops.

“The infection numbers have sunk significantly, especially the relative day-by-day increase,” said the German health minister Jens Spahn, which has seen just a 3% mortality rate compared to 13% in the UK.

It has left questions about how the UK managed to gets its approach so wrong by comparison.

One expert, BBC Newsnight’s international editor Gabriel Gatehouse says that the UK was mirroring the country until a policy change on March 12th.

He explained: “More testing just means Germany just has a better picture of what’s going on, which means they can be a little bit more confident in lifting some of those restrictions, knowing if they see the infection rate go up again, they can act in good time.”

He continued: “Public Health England and the Germans worked together on developing one of the first tests for coronavirus - that was back in January - and then both the UK and Germany were doing what they call ‘community testing’ and contact tracing. Basically testing people who were not in hospital, people who had milder symptoms, and then quarantining them and people that they’ve been in contact with.

“Now Germany did a lot more of that than we did, but we were also doing it, until there was a policy change on 12th March.

“This was the day when the prime minister announced we were moving from the containment phase - i.e stopping the spread - to the policy of delay, basically delaying the peak to try and take the pressure off the NHS.

“This was when the prime minister - I think the headline figure was - telling people with a mild fever or cough to stay at home for seven days. But potentially the much more significant change of policy was articulated by Chris Whitty, the chief medical officer, who essentially said that on the 12th March that community testing and contact tracing would stop.”

On that day Whitty said the government would pivot its testing capacity from the community to focus on testing in hospital instead.

Gatehouse pointed out that the Germans “also pivoted from contain to delay but they never stopped the testing”.

He pointed out that virologists in Germany always believed it would be “one of the main tools” to contain the spread and “get a clear picture to understand what is going on”.

He said it was presented as a “policy change” but it was also to do with “capacity”, and the British were now “basically going back to a policy of community testing” because of the 100,000 target health secretary Matt Hancock has referenced but said “the actual reality is lagging behind”.
            As has been pointed out elsewhere, the UK government have been playing 'macho' with the figures...
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Nursing and care home deaths are the elephant in the room. Not just in the UK.
              Rubbish!! Elephants are not allowed in care homes, even when the lockdown is eased I doubt you will see many of them. They eat all the buns and break the stair lifts

HTH

sasguru
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
              X