• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Sufficiency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Sufficiency

This is the new mantra, Britain should move all the badly paid jobs back and move people from highly paid "cushy" office jobs providing services in a globalised market to working 12 hour days to churn out PPE for the NHS.

I have a feeling this won't work

Discuss
    I'm alright Jack

If you need stuff quickly, which we do, then you need skilled people to sort it out.

Getting Geoff from accounts to do it is not going to be of any use to anyone.

Comment

That's presuming people with crushy office jobs have the skills to do such work.

There have been various BBC programs going back in time. One was to a factory that made clothes. They had to test the participants before they were allowed on to the program as lots couldn't sew.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        If you need stuff quickly, which we do, then you need skilled people to sort it out.

Indeed Britain is a service economy, it can't simply switch back to being the workshop of the world.

Most of this comes from journalists who have no idea about manufacturing but want people to read their newspapers and listen to their radio shows.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

I think my investments in China are safe for now.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

What about Deirdre from HR?
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

A lot of that manufacturing is automated to high degree - but one needs materials in place, hard tomimagine cotton will be made on the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                Big glasses?

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  She be good at making Brompton bikes but not much else.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Complete middle-class North London twaddle. These ejjits think that anything not involving smacking a laptop for a few hours a day is unskilled work that can be picked up in an afternoon.

Office workers are completely unskilled in trade work. Manufacturing relies on 3-4 year apprenticeships (and sometimes longer than that) to train people in the skills needed.

Even relatively low-skilled work can take months of training and experience to get up-to-speed with effective use of tooling and quality production.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X