• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Lockdown vol. DXXXVIII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Lockdown vol. DXXXVIII

Time to stop looking wistfully out of that window and accept the new reality of the Internet being the only place you’re safe
    • So Much Cooking - ”This is a food blog, not a disease blog… I don’t know about you, but I deal with anxiety by cooking. So much cooking.” This short story by Naomi Kritzer, published in 2015, explores the impact of a global pandemic through the experiences of a food blogger whose life is turned upside-down by social distancing and death. Sound familiar? Kritzer reflects now on her story in Didn’t I Write This Story Already? When Your Fictional Pandemic Becomes Reality: ”Researching the story in 2015 was when I first encountered the phrase ‘social distancing.’ Obviously, you’d close the schools, and public gathering spaces like movie theaters; you’d have everyone telecommute who possibly could. How would you get food?… Pretty much all the articles I read included an ominous prediction that sooner or later, we’d get to test out all the theories about containment, mitigation, spread.”

• Is the interstellar visitor 'Oumuamua a fragment of a shattered alien world? - The cigar-shaped visitor may be a part of a planet from another solar system that was destroyed: ”A super-Earth, bigger and more massive than Earth, on a highly elliptical orbit its star (maybe poked gravitationally by a second star in the system and dropped too close to the first star) can be disrupted… if the pass is close enough the process winds up being similar to what happens to the rubble pile asteroids and long-period comets.”

• What Happened to Lee? - HT to eek for this sad tale of Lee Holloway, co-founder of Cloudflare, and his mental decline due to a rare brain disorder: ”In Cloudflare's early years, Lee Holloway had been the resident genius, the guy who could focus for hours, code pouring from his fingertips while death metal blasted in his headphones. He was the master architect whose vision had guided what began as a literal sketch on a napkin into a tech giant… But some years before the IPO, his behavior began to change.”

• Emergency Ward - A classic documentary short, filmed at St. Vincent’s Hospital, New York City in 1952: ”This gritty, groundbreaking documentary by Leo Hurwitz is considered a predecessor of the direct cinema (or cinema verité) movement of the late 1950s and early 1960s.” All well and good, but there’s more: Eastman Museum at Home has a bunch of activities you might find useful if you’re stuck at home with bored children, from images for colouring in to such exotica as “How to make a thaumatrope”

• Melting Ice Exposes Mountain Pass Used by Vikings, Including Ancient Dog and Leash - ”Archaeologists in central Norway have uncovered evidence of a heavily traveled mountain passageway that was used during the Viking Age… Located on Lomseggen Ridge, the passageway is absolutely littered with well-preserved artifacts, including mittens, shoes, horse snowshoes, bits of sleds, and even the remains of a dog still attached to its collar and leash.” Once this has whetted your appetite, head over to read all the details in Antiquity: Crossing the ice: an Iron Age to medieval mountain pass at Lendbreen, Norway.

• Gravitational waves reveal unprecedented collision of heavy and light black holes - ”Researchers with the world’s gravitational wave detectors said today they had picked up vibrations from a cosmic collision that harmonized with the opening notes of an Elvis Presley hit.” OK, the Presley thing is a tenuous hook to get a bit of publicity, as if black holes crashing into each other needed a hook

• The Fist of God - Kate Wheeler discovers the Bolivian tradition of tinku in which peasants fight, sometimes to the death, as explained by campesino Severo: ”I fight every year, sagrado, sacred… I can never break my promise, for that which is sacred is sacred always. Tinku is perfect, like the lightning. When it kills you, it kills you; when you have to die, you die. There is no justice or law. He who lets himself fall, let the earth be the one to complain.”

• Bring Science Home - Kids already bored with their thaumatrope? Here’s a whole load of science stuff they can do, from Scientific American: ”As the old saying (almost) goes, science starts in the home. Try our fun science activities, which parents and their kids ages 6-12 can do together with household items in just a half hour or less.”

• When a rising star of China’s live-streamers fell in love offline, it cost her the virtual world - The perils of having a life when your income depends on your virtual life: ”With thousands of followers, Shanghai live-streamer Nai Nai was a girlfriend to many, until she met Chinese internet legend Jiang Bo. Little did she know the price she would pay for her feelings.”

• Browse 213 manuscripts from the Library of the Dukes of Burgundy - The Royal Library of Belgium, KBR, has had to postpone its opening due to current circumstances, so here’s their collection of illuminated manuscripts to browse online instead: ”While waiting for the opening of the museum, you can now browse 213 manuscripts from this unique collection. For free, without any limitations. Zoom in on amazing miniatures, in full detail… Masterpieces such as the Roman de Girart de Nevers, the Peterborough Psalter and the Chroniques de Hainaut are among the 50 most prestigious manuscripts worldwide.” N.B. there’s a language selector at the top right of the collection pages, if French or Flemish aren’t your thing. This is by Willem Vrelant, from Leonardus Brunus Aretinus’ De Bello Punico.

Happy invoicing!

Oh good, another variety of brain rot to worry about.

Looking on the bright side, as ever, if you've got it you don't worry about it any more.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      • What Happened to Lee? - HT to eek for this sad tale of Lee Holloway, co-founder of Cloudflare, and his mental decline due to a rare brain disorder: ”In Cloudflare's early years, Lee Holloway had been the resident genius, the guy who could focus for hours, code pouring from his fingertips while death metal blasted in his headphones. He was the master architect whose vision had guided what began as a literal sketch on a napkin into a tech giant… But some years before the IPO, his behavior began to change.”

Ouch! That was a hard read.

Comment

The ice patch thing - a new word 'Transhumance' (the action or practice of moving livestock from one grazing ground to another in a seasonal cycle, typically to lowlands in winter and highlands in summer.)

Cheers NF

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          [*]What Happened to Lee? - HT to eek for this sad tale of Lee Holloway, co-founder of Cloudflare, and his mental decline due to a rare brain disorder: ”In Cloudflare's early years, Lee Holloway had been the resident genius, the guy who could focus for hours, code pouring from his fingertips while death metal blasted in his headphones. He was the master architect whose vision had guided what began as a literal sketch on a napkin into a tech giant… But some years before the IPO, his behavior began to change.”

eek? That was me who sent you that one. The ch-eek of it.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
            eek? That was me who sent you that one. The ch-eek of it.

qh
            Yet another sign of the end of days!! Fairly sure there was something in revelations about this

Doomed, we're all doooooooomed

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post

The ice patch thing - a new word 'Transhumance' (the action or practice of moving livestock from one grazing ground to another in a seasonal cycle, typically to lowlands in winter and highlands in summer.)

Cheers NF
              Yep, that's where the county name Somerset "Summer set (settlement)" came from - The Saxons, like their predecessors, would walk cows from Exmoor and surrounding hills down to the Somerset levels each spring to graze throughout the summer, and then walk them back in the autumn before the levels flooded again.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Ouch! That was a hard read.
                My father-in-law has FTD however thankfully not as bad as Lee, and the docs have said his body will give up before his mind does.

"However diminished, a person lingers in the shattered roadways of his mind." what totally beautiful way of describing it.

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                  My father-in-law has FTD however thankfully not as bad as Lee, and the docs have said his body will give up before his mind does.

"However diminished, a person lingers in the shattered roadways of his mind." what totally beautiful way of describing it.

qh

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Yep, that's where the county name Somerset "Summer set (settlement)" came from - The Saxons, like their predecessors, would walk cows from Exmoor and surrounding hills down to the Somerset levels each spring to graze throughout the summer, and then walk them back in the autumn before the levels flooded again.
                    I love stuff like that. I once had a wonderful conversation with an old chap on the tube home from work who told me about the origin of many town names. Sadly, I have the brains of a goldfish and I can't remember naff all.

I think he was quite disappointed by the lack of education/knowledge of today's yoof (although I am hardly yoof anymore but I reckon I could have been of granddaughter age in comparison to him so that's young by his pov).

Comment

Working...
                    X