• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Emergency Food Parcel delivered to the door - ever wonder where you taxes go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I was rather thinking why are the government getting involved in deliveries when companies are geared up for it and need the work?
    Because the government have the names and addresses of the vulnerable (basically the million plus they sent those letters to a few weeks ago). They give the supermarkets access to the database and they are divided up between them according to postcode - that's the theory anyway.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Benny View Post
      Just had a food package delivered to the door & driver had left before I had a chance to inspect and thus reject the package
      It's meant for vulnerable people who cannot get to the shops & as the missus is registered due to medical condition she received the package but I already do the shopping

Never have I felt so awkward looking at the contents and the driver should have realised from the house size and premium cars on the drive that this is not a poor household!
      Going onto HMG website to stop any further deliveries and donating the box to the local food bank (minus digestive biscuits and peach slices of course!)
      It must be costing an absolute fortune!
      My best mates have the same issue. Both high tax payers, 2 kids in paid for schooling, no mortgage, loads of dosh ... she had an op a few years ago and only has part of one lung and so is protected. As such they get a food parcel - bonkers. She's tried to send them back (can't), contact the senders to take her off the list (not working). What's extra wasteful is he (hubby) is a veggie, and the parcels contain Frey Bentos type tins.

They're giving out whatever is perishable to local friends who need it more, and storing tins etc to go back to the food bank once lockdown is over and the risk to her is reduced.
      Last edited by Whorty; 21 April 2020, 20:40.
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Don't conflate vulnerable people who cannot get to the shops with poor household.
        Vulnerable people, who are sent these parcels, are on the lists to get home delivery shopping, so they have no need to get to the shops.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
          Because the government have the names and addresses of the vulnerable (basically the million plus they sent those letters to a few weeks ago). They give the supermarkets access to the database and they are divided up between them according to postcode - that's the theory anyway.
          This ... I think my mate said their parcel comes from ASDA. They've tried to get removed from the list. Yet, they are still on it receiving the parcels.

Comment

It’s emergency - cost of food sent to those who might not need it is less than cost of dealing with exceptions and risking missing somebody who might need it.

Obviously if Govt prepped for pandemic then all of this would work like a Swiss clock 6 weeks ago.

Comment

Himself is on the list but we had to register, as MND is not automatically added - as to quote some cock womble "you can get mild versions of it" Hmm yes a 'mild' version of an unpredictable terminal illness..
              Anyway on the goverment website you check the box to say if you need food deliveries We dont as we have a regular slot with a supermarket already.
              We also got a few emails from supermarkets saying we could book slots with them, obviously we dont need to.

Perhaps if you go onto the Gov website there may be a way to get out of the parcels?

We have also had a call from the MND Association and a call from the GP to check that we had everything we needed, which was unexpected and very reassuring.
              I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

My gran got one the other day. Arrived early doors before she got up so didn't know it was there until she opened the door to water plants in her front garden.

She's got neighbours doing regular shopping for her so she can stay in for the 12 weeks they advise (so far), so much of the parcel was excess stuff she didn't need, and on hearing a neighbour's son was laid off without pay (not furloughed) she gave them the spare stuff to give to him. Saves him a trip to the food bank, if they're open.

Apparently she's getting another parcel next week as a regular supply. I wonder if it will be the same contents or if they'll mix it up a bit. They're like food hampers, lots of stuff but inevitably some items an individual doesn't like or want. I suggested she and any neighbours put unwanted items out on her close for others to swap and mix/match to make different meals rather than let it go to waste.

The overall cost is peanuts compared to the billions the government are spending elsewhere, so at least they have something right in supplying the vulnerable so they can keep away from potential virus hotspots such as the supermarket or local shops where there are plenty of morons not keeping their distance.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                  M

The overall cost is peanuts compared to the billions the government are spending elsewhere, so at least they have something right in supplying the vulnerable so they can keep away from potential virus hotspots such as the supermarket or local shops where there are plenty of morons not keeping their distance.
                  makes sense.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It seems different supermarkets are dealing with it differently

Selfish shoppers hog supermarket delivery slots leaving needy waiting | Daily Mail Online

How the big stores compare

Tesco has contacted 230,000 vulnerable customers to offer priority delivery slots.
                    If you have an NHS letter you can create an account online or call 0800 917 7359.
                    There are a total of 964,000 delivery slots available each week. Tesco will not say how many of these are reserved for vulnerable shoppers.

Sainsbury's has contacted around 700,000 customers to offer priority slots.
                    If you are not one of them and have an NHS letter, call 0800 636 262.
                    It's aiming to have 600,000 delivery slots a week, with thousands for those at risk.
                    Customers can also add up to £250 on to an online Volunteer Shopping Card (sainsburysgiftcard.co.uk) which can be emailed to someone shopping on their behalf.

Waitrose is delivering up to 100,000 orders a week, with 25 per cent of slots for vulnerable customers.
                    Its new service, Waitrose Rapid, will deliver up to 25 items within two hours. Some 40 per cent of these slots will be for priority customers.

Asda has emailed 70,000 vulnerable customers to offer them first access to delivery slots.
                    Shoppers can choose to have a repeat delivery of the same items.

Morrisons' telephone service for vulnerable and elderly customers offers next-day delivery of 47 essential items, including milk, butter and eggs.
                    Bills can be paid on the doorstep with a debit or credit card.
                    Call 0345 611 6111 and choose option five. No proof of eligibility is required.

Aldi has launched a new service for vulnerable customers.
                    Food parcels of 22 essentials, such as tinned soups and dried pasta, can be ordered online (aldi.co.uk/food-parcels) for £24.99, including delivery.
                    However, this service is limited to one per week.

Iceland says it has contacted 79,000 vulnerable customers on the Government's list to offer delivery slots.

New customers can register online to access these (iceland.co.uk).
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      It seems different supermarkets are dealing with it differently

Selfish shoppers hog supermarket delivery slots leaving needy waiting | Daily Mail Online
                      The Aldi offer sounds grim, but needs must.

Comment

Working...
                      X