• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Second Wave

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We'll have a vaccine by then.

Oxford University said there's an 80% chance of success. That's good enough for me (coming from a leading scientist and not a politician).

Comment

Originally posted by SeededLoaf View Post
      We'll have a vaccine by then. Oxford University said there's an 80% chance of success. That's good enough for me (coming from a leading scientist and not a politician).
      Hopefully he is right, but it won't be safe enough to use on mass scale, only for health workers and others who under much higher risk.

And then there are anti-vaxxers, who will be out in force with their tin foil hats.

Comment

Things about a Coronavirus vaccine are:

Will if work with all the current Covid-19 mutations and future one?
        How quickly can we manufacture 70,000,000 doses?

Many common colds are caused by Coronavirus and it costs billions in lost productivity. So far no one has ever made a reliable working vaccine, and people have been trying for 50 years.

Towards a universal coronavirus vaccine: science fact or science-fiction? | Microbiology Society

In 2015

Vaccine for Mers coronavirus 'looks promising' - BBC News

Result?

Nothing
        Last edited by DimPrawn; 22 April 2020, 17:47.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Many common colds are caused by Coronavirus and it costs billions in lost productivity.
          That was not enough to justify spending.

New CV costs trillions, entirely different ball game - even vaccine that works 50% of time would be welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Things about a Coronavirus vaccine are:

Will if work with all the current Covid-19 mutations and future one?
            How quickly can we manufacture 70,000,000 doses?

Many common colds are caused by Coronavirus and it costs billions in lost productivity. So far no one has ever made a reliable working vaccine, and people have been trying for 50 years.

Towards a universal coronavirus vaccine: science fact or science-fiction? | Microbiology Society

In 2015

Vaccine for Mers coronavirus 'looks promising' - BBC News

Result?

Nothing
            Yep, a vaccine for covid-19 is a red herring. We've never produced a vaccine for any of the corona viruses. Flu, yes, but not these viruses. I guess we may be lucky this time ... but unless you have a ventilator handy, I wouldn't be holding your breath
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Don't Call me Shirley

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              ... but unless you have a ventilator handy, I wouldn't be holding your breath
              Surely, if you're holding your breath, you don't need a ventilator
              "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                Surely, if you're holding your breath, you don't need a ventilator
                That's what I was saying
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  That was not enough to justify spending.

New CV costs trillions, entirely different ball game - even vaccine that works 50% of time would be welcome.
                  Avian Coronavirus causes billions of $$$ global loss to the poultry industry and the pharma companies have been working on a vaccine for farmers for about 20 years. So far nothing works well for long. There is serious money to be made there if one could be developed.

Avian coronavirus - Wikipedia

There are both attenuated vaccines and inactivated vaccines available. Their effectiveness is diminished by poor cross-protection.
                  Or to put it into human terms. You get vaccinated. Go out all confident you are safe, and a different strain kills you a month later.

Comment

Originally posted by SeededLoaf View Post
                    We'll have a vaccine by then.

Oxford University said there's an 80% chance of success. That's good enough for me (coming from a leading scientist and not a politician).
                    The leading contender is Remdesvir developed by Gilead, AFAIK.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      The leading contender is Remdesvir developed by Gilead, AFAIK.
                      I don't think that's a vaccine, it's an antiviral used for the very ill.

Comment

Working...
                      X