• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sit Back and Relax. We're Here for at least a Year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
    I think (and hope) it will all be over a lot quicker without using a vaccine, based on everything I've read on the science side.
    Please share the summary...

Comment

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
      I think (and hope) it will all be over a lot quicker without using a vaccine, based on everything I've read on the science side.
      as in, we will all be dead?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Well, they've set new record now - not working and getting paid, try to beat that Labour!

Labour's last bailout, the financial crash of 2008-2009 was a lot larger than that of Sunak's for COVID....
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          Labour's last bailout, the financial crash of 2008-2009 was a lot larger than that of Sunak's for COVID....
          The Tories (not really any of the current Cabinet idiots) had sufficient warning of the threat of a pandemic but deliberately left us exposed. They should be out chucked out of power for a generation.

However it is equally true that Labour (eg the Treasury) were fully aware of impending financial disaster but did nothing. They should be chucked out of power for a generation as well. (I suspect it will be longer in their case).
          "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Please share the summary...
            Human viruses conceptually aren't that different to a computer virus. For the Sars-Cov-2 you can literally download the 'code' as a file.
            Like a virus made by some hardcore hackers, the way viruses work in general are pretty complex. Sars-Cov-2 in particular in certain situations has the ability to 'hide' from the anti-virus software ( immune system) with a cloaking mechanism.

The code can be processed to work out what it looks like and how it's interacting with the host. With that they can work out what existing drugs will target it (or develop new ones). Just like a computer virus, there's many points where it can be stopped or slowed down.

Analysis of therapeutic targets for SARS-CoV-2 and discovery of potential drugs by computational methods - ScienceDirect

There's currently 600+ trials running around the world to see which drugs work the best.

https://covid19-trials.org/

This is quite a good NHS page that tries to disseminate key information about what's going on ( only has a few trials mentioned though).
            COVID-19 research briefing - University of Birmingham

For any drugs showing promise, companies are typically ramping up production already.
            Last edited by krytonsheep; 23 April 2020, 09:20. Reason: added trials link

Comment

I suppose this just means more thresholds to how many allowed in a particular place at any one time with the exception of schools.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                Current bailout has nit even started yet

Comment

Originally posted by Donald Trump;Press Conference Today
                  We’re very close to a vaccine
                  Followed directly with:

Originally posted by Tonald Drump;Press Conference Today
                  We’re not close on testing
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

FAirly relaxed distancing would still have quite an impact, but they seem fairly clear it's not going to be business as normal for a while.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I'm confident our brilliant rail service will be able to cope with social distancing

Comment

Working...
                      X