• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sit Back and Relax. We're Here for at least a Year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sit Back and Relax. We're Here for at least a Year

There is an "incredibly small" chance of having a highly effective vaccine or treatment for the coronavirus within the next year, England's Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty said today.
    "Until we have highly effective vaccines and/or highly effective drugs - and the probability of having those any time in the next calendar year are incredibly small - we're going to have to rely on other social measures."
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Our company is planning the return to the office and it seems highly likely that most will be working from home and visiting the office once or twice a week just for meetings. Social distancing means the office will probably at best 50% full, trains running half empty and car parks quickly filled. Tower blocks will be tricky with only 2 or 3 people allowed in the lift at any one time. You'll probably have to reserve a place in advance.

Money is draining away fast, very fast, the contractors will go first and then probably no sackings as the next step is the three day week, where everyone goes onto 70% salaries.

I look forward to that
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 22 April 2020, 18:50.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

It's entirely conveivable Govt will continue to subsidise 1-2 days per week, can solve huge unemployment.

Who would have thought a 4-3 day working week would happen so soon and under Tory Govt?

Comment

I noticed they cunningly wouldn't be drawn on any specifics. Would that mean no travel or you can travel but transport providers have to ensure they don't sell more tickets for a given service that would force passengers to breach the 2m rule?

The devil will be in the detail....

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          It's entirely conveivable Govt will continue to subsidise 1-2 days per week, can solve huge unemployment.

Who would have thought a 4-3 day working week would happen so soon and under Tory Govt?

The three day week in the 1970s was also under a Tory government, so they’ve got form

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            The three day week in the 1970s was also under a Tory government, so they’ve got form
            Well, they've set new record now - not working and getting paid, try to beat that Labour!

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
              There is an "incredibly small" chance of having a highly effective vaccine or treatment for the coronavirus within the next year."
              I think (and hope) it will all be over a lot quicker without using a vaccine, based on everything I've read on the science side.

Comment

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
                I think (and hope) it will all be over a lot quicker without using a vaccine, based on everything I've read on the science side.
                Wow, good news! I hope you've let Chris Whitty know!
                "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  "Temporary Short Time Working" during the Thatcher inspired slump in the 80s.

Disappointing that it was 9 days out of 10 though.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                    Wow, good news! I hope you've let Chris Whitty know!
                    Whitty and the other bloke have proved to be idiots. Get the Imperial guys in. After all the govt. is following their advice not Whitty's.

FFS!
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X