• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who are SAGE?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Yes but who are they, the actual people?

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    I would have thought the only need for secrecy is to protect the expert members from the usual collections of loons, trolls and promoters of dubious solutions. The group itself isn't secret.
    In fact the government have even said this.

The identities of many of the scientists dictating Britain's strategy in combating coronavirus are being kept secret for their own protection, the Government said on Tuesday, but the refusal to disclose their names has fuelled concern over a lack of transparency in the handling of the pandemic.Well-placed sources insisted security concerns surrounding the Scientific Advisory Group on Emergencies (Sage) prevented those invited to attend its meetings from being named.
    The identities of academics who sit on Sage sub-groups have also been removed from the internet in recent days for their own safety.
    It is understood that a number of scientists have received death threats, either because those threatening them feel the lockdown is too draconian or that it was implemented too slowly....
    Sage had met nine times in February and 10 times in March. But the last minutes published by Sage related to meetings in August 2019 in relation to the breach of a reservoir.
    Johnson and his ministers have repeatedly said they are listening to the scientists at all points when implementing their response to coronavirus, but experts have questioned why more public health experts do not seem to be involved in Sage and its subcommittees. Most of the reports feeding into the Sage documents published on 26 March were provided by behavioural scientists and pandemic modellers.
    The strategy on tackling coronavirus also appears to have changed several times, including the abandonment of a presumption of herd immunity in favour of trying to suppress the virus, the admission that mass testing of the population will be necessary to exit the lockdown, and the decision to review advice on the wearing of face masks in public.
    The ERG are also pushing their own agenda...again
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      Yes but who are they, the actual people?

These people?

WHO | SAGE members

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        These people?

WHO | SAGE members
        Have a guess. In fact have two guesses.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Okay.

They are the people?

They are not the people?

Was I right?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Okay.

They are the people?

They are not the people?

Was I right?
              You were. Well done.

Comment

Phew. Everything is ok.

Revealed: Cummings is on secret scientific advisory group for Covid-19

Revealed: Dominic Cummings on secret scientific advisory group for Covid-19 | World news | The Guardian

Comment

I was thinking over 50's insurance and then realised that was Saga

Comment

Phew. Everything is ok.

Revealed: Cummings is on secret scientific advisory group for Covid-19

Revealed: Dominic Cummings on secret scientific advisory group for Covid-19 | World news | The Guardian
                    Beat me to it but my comment would have been "I ******* knew it..."

The prime minister’s chief political adviser, Dominic Cummings, and a data scientist he worked with on the Vote Leave campaign for Brexit are on the secret scientific group advising the government on the coronavirus pandemic, according to a list leaked to the Guardian.It reveals both Cummings and Ben Warner were among 23 attendees present at a crucial convening of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) on 23 March, the day Boris Johnson announced a nationwide lockdown in a televised address.
                    Multiple attendees of Sage told the Guardian that both Cummings and Warner had been taking part in meetings of the group as far back as February. The inclusion of Downing Street advisers on Sage will raise questions about the independence of its scientific advice.
                    There has been growing pressure on Downing Street in recent days to disclose more details about the group, which provides scientific advice to the upper echelons of government during emergencies. Both the membership of Sage and its advice to ministers on the Covid-19 outbreak is being kept secret.
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      Beat me to it but my comment would have been "I ******* knew it..."
                      Still, the voters wanted someone quirky as PM. They won. Get over it.

Comment

Working...
                      X