Is a an economic depression coming? Is a an economic depression coming? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11

    Super poster

    Whorty - scorchio!

    Whorty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    4,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Rambling of an unemployed lockdown alcoholic. Sad really when it happens....
    You say sad, I say it's entertaining watching Sassy and his imbecilic drivel
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

  2. #12

    More fingers than teeth

    BlasterBates - scorchio!

    BlasterBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    1922 Commitee
    Posts
    15,004

    Default

    This is a difficult market as staying in cash isn't necessarily going to work, with helicopter money being distributed in huge quantities with more of it to come, there could be a pick up in inflation.

    You need to balance between equities cash and gold.
    I'm alright Jack

  3. #13

    Contractor Among Contractors

    GJABS - scorchio!

    GJABS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,189

    Default

    My opinion is that there is nothing to indicate there will be a depression - though that doesn't rule it out.
    Depressions like the one that occurred in the 1930's happened due to the collapse of the broad money supply (money/debt pairings created by banks as they offer depositors credit) after the economic over-confidence of the roaring 20's leading to the wall street crash of 1929. This caused a lot of poverty from reduced economic activity and deflation. However that was when the country (the US) was on the gold standard.
    Nowadays the central banks can print narrow money (banknotes and primary bank's accounts with the Fed/Bank of England) allowing them to offset some of the deflation and generate short term boosts to the economy. However doing this won't prevent the loss of confidence leading to loss of desire to lend etc, so the recession/depression will be just as severe, only spread over a greater period of time.
    Coronavirus is not an indication of a loss of confidence in the system, it's "just" a bad thing that happened. Investors are still as confident about the future relative to the current depressed market valuations as they were before the virus came along.

  4. #14

    Richer than sasguru

    DimPrawn is always on top

    DimPrawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Covid City
    Posts
    36,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GJABS View Post
    My opinion is that there is nothing to indicate there will be a depression - though that doesn't rule it out.
    Depressions like the one that occurred in the 1930's happened due to the collapse of the broad money supply (money/debt pairings created by banks as they offer depositors credit) after the economic over-confidence of the roaring 20's leading to the wall street crash of 1929. This caused a lot of poverty from reduced economic activity and deflation. However that was when the country (the US) was on the gold standard.
    Nowadays the central banks can print narrow money (banknotes and primary bank's accounts with the Fed/Bank of England) allowing them to offset some of the deflation and generate short term boosts to the economy. However doing this won't prevent the loss of confidence leading to loss of desire to lend etc, so the recession/depression will be just as severe, only spread over a greater period of time.
    Coronavirus is not an indication of a loss of confidence in the system, it's "just" a bad thing that happened. Investors are still as confident about the future relative to the current depressed market valuations as they were before the virus came along.

  5. #15

    Double Godlike!

    ladymuck has reached the peak. Play again?

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    11,427

    Default

    I dunno about an economic depression but there's definitely the other type (not the weather one either) coming up if some things aren't relaxed

  6. #16

    Contractor Among Contractors

    GJABS - scorchio!

    GJABS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DimPrawn View Post
    What?

  7. #17

    My post count is Majestic

    vetran has reached the peak. Play again?

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    35,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    I bet they can hand you you ass on a plate though.
    FTFY.

    AssGoo & Old Smeg are near to claiming Blackadder was historically accurate.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

  8. #18

    Double Godlike!

    BR14 is always on top

    BR14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Under your kitchen sink
    Posts
    11,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    FTFY.

    AssGoo & Old Smeg are near to claiming Blackadder was historically accurate.
    you mean it isn't?
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

  9. #19

    My post count is Majestic

    vetran has reached the peak. Play again?

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    35,514

    Default

    Sadly I have to agree with Assgoo a lot of people will suffer and many will feel the bite of unemployment.

    I do not however take pleasure in this or get excited about abusing them so gladly I am nothing like him!
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

  10. #20

    My post count is Majestic

    vetran has reached the peak. Play again?

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    35,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BR14 View Post
    you mean it isn't?

    Well this is the mental picture (top in posing pouch) I have of Assgoo standing next to NAT (as his eye recovers after a nasty Gimp suit accident) on the way to service the bank holiday trade for NLUK.

    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •