• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finally a solution - ‘Covid-secure’ offices to get Britain back to work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was actually using one of those today, using a sprayer to apply decking oil to my decking. Quite comfortable and totally filtered the fumes.

Also, my current offices would need to rearrange the desks or have every other occupied due to horrendous line based layout. Would only be a good thing

Comment

Originally posted by GmartSuy View Post

Depends on the size of the office i'd imagine, small start up/ agencies could probably get away with it but those offices in large buildings will most definitely need some sort of rota in place to limit the amount of people in the office.
      Also, in large office blocks what about fire evacuations, whether drills or genuine, when everyone would have to pile out of their offices and crowd together down emergency stairs?
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Also, in large office blocks what about fire evacuations, whether drills or genuine, when everyone would have to pile out of their offices and crowd together down emergency stairs?
        They can prioritise. Current client had all the contractors in one large room in a corner of the (18th century) building. The fire alarm went off and none of us heard it. Someone came round 15 minute later and asked why we hadn't evacuated for the fire alarm. We said that we hadn't heard a fire alarm, and he said, 'No, it doesn't work in this corner of the building.' The permies really don't like that we get paid more.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          They can prioritise. Current client had all the contractors in one large room in a corner of the (18th century) building. The fire alarm went off and none of us heard it. Someone came round 15 minute later and asked why we hadn't evacuated for the fire alarm. We said that we hadn't heard a fire alarm, and he said, 'No, it doesn't work in this corner of the building.' The permies really don't like that we get paid more.
          So...you were asked why you didn't evacuate for a fire alarm they knew you wouldn't hear? Wow. That's harsh!

Comment

Doesn't air conditioning make all the social distancing pointless anyway as it just recycles and redistributes the air in the office? Most companies don't bother investing in cleaning them at the best of times, so spreading all manner of nasties

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Doesn't air conditioning make all the social distancing pointless anyway as it just recycles and redistributes the air in the office? Most companies don't bother investing in cleaning them at the best of times, so spreading all manner of nasties
              Depends if that's a significant risk factor for transmission of the virus (I don't know the answer).

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Depends if that's a significant risk factor for transmission of the virus (I don't know the answer).
                Depends on how well the AC units can filter the air.

I worked at a large merchant bank in the city years ago. IT were in the 2nd sub basement. No windows, artificial lighting and constant AC. If anyone got a cold the entire floor had it within a week.

See also Sick Building Syndrome.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  Depends on how well the AC units can filter the air.

I worked at a large merchant bank in the city years ago. IT were in the 2nd sub basement. No windows, artificial lighting and constant AC. If anyone got a cold the entire floor had it within a week.

See also Sick Building Syndrome.
                  Pretty much what I was thinking of.

I'd be asking any client about their AC before I (re)entered the building.

Comment

Pretty much what I was thinking of.

I'd be asking any client about their AC before I (re)entered the building.
                    Apparently, it's a thing.

Early Release - COVID-19 Outbreak Associated with Air Conditioning in Restaurant, Guangzhou, China, 2020 - Volume 26, Number 7—July 2020 - Emerging Infectious Diseases journal - CDC

Comment

Yep, _and_ it greatly dehumidifies the air, which makes things even easier for the virus.

I think air conditioning should be banned in the UK. Why not just have windows that open, or more natural temperature exchange systems?

After all, it wastes huge amounts of energy, so much so that banning it would go a good way towards meeting our CO2 reduction goals.

Also, I don't think the sharp temperature drops of leaving sweltering heat outside and entering a freezing cold building can be at all healthy.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X