• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which trading platform?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which trading platform?

OK I want to buy some specific shares mainly cruise companies and travel/hotel groups in order to get benefits for future bookings given the shares have tanked. But what trading platform will be best to use to minimise cost and maximise convenience? I simply want to buy a small number of each companies shares and will sit on them for future benefits and long term growth.

Yes I know these companies are dodgy at the moment but for some that won't always be the case and the share price for say Carnival is such that I'll get my money back with just one future cruise

I used to use Interactive Investor (it may have changed names again but that's the last one I remember it having).

I can't say if it's any better or worse than any other platform but I didn't think the fees were onerous and the buying/selling was simple enough.

Comment

If you like gambling, you should try playing roulette online. You will certainly find out the results of your gamble quicker. There is a reason the shares are down, if you look at the balance sheet of carnival plc you will see that they don't have a lot of cash in hand to offset their liabilities. It's wishful thinking that the shares will just 'go up'.

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
        If you like gambling, you should try playing roulette online. You will certainly find out the results of your gamble quicker. There is a reason the shares are down, if you look at the balance sheet of carnival plc you will see that they don't have a lot of cash in hand to offset their liabilities. It's wishful thinking that the shares will just 'go up'.
        Agree but I'm investing for potential benefits rather than possible returns. Not a lot and I can afford to lose the money being invested but some of these companies if not most will survive.

Comment

I would steer clear of cruise companies. It is likely that some of them if not all will go bankrupt or get close to bankruptcy and you lose almost everything. Of course the cruise companies will come back but not necessarily with the current investors as the owners. What happens is the companies get desperate, they then get some emergency funding from a private equity investor who in return will own 80% of the company. The shareholders are left with 20% or maybe less so they never get the benefit of the recovery.

If you are going to invest in dodgy companies then try the big oil companies. They have downstream refining and gas production so they won't be going bankrupt, and when they recover you're still the owner.

It is correct that the cruise companies will be there in 5 years time but don't make the common mistake of thinking you keep your percentage of it.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            I would steer clear of cruise companies. It is likely that some of them if not all will go bankrupt or get close to bankruptcy and you lose almost everything. Of course the cruise companies will come back but not necessarily with the current investors as the owners. What happens is the companies get desperate, they then get some emergency funding from a private equity investor who in return will own 80% of the company. The shareholders are left with 20% or maybe less so they never get the benefit of the recovery.

This is likely to happen to Virgin Atlantic by the looks of it.

Comment

Wouldn't touch cruise companies. Also Carnival is issuing debt that can be converted to stock later, so the shares will be diluted for the long-term. You might get lucky. No different than taking a punt on a horse though.

Comment

I must go check how these bargain shares I bought ages ago are doing. I bought them at "giveaway" prices, their share prices fell massively and I was going to make a fortune!

BHS
                Kodak
                Thomas Cook
                Enron
                Blockbuster
                Debenhams
                Pan Am
                Polaroid
                Toys "R" Us

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  Wouldn't touch cruise companies. Also Carnival is issuing debt that can be converted to stock later, so the shares will be diluted for the long-term. You might get lucky. No different than taking a punt on a horse though.
                  Indeed and that's a tip on how to play the cruise companies
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
                    OK I want to buy some specific shares mainly cruise companies and travel/hotel groups in order to get benefits for future bookings given the shares have tanked. But what trading platform will be best to use to minimise cost and maximise convenience? I simply want to buy a small number of each companies shares and will sit on them for future benefits and long term growth.

Yes I know these companies are dodgy at the moment but for some that won't always be the case and the share price for say Carnival is such that I'll get my money back with just one future cruise
                    Trading account or S&S ISA: Halifax iWeb. Ideal for infrequent share/ETF purchases with low charges. Sit and forget about them.

My personal view is that we are currently seeing the calm before the storm. We're about to witness a change of world economy that will pivot away from China as a major supplier and developer, across multiple sectors. Pensions will be demolished and old boring folk won't be paying £8k for a nice cruise, that's for sure. I wouldn't touch Carnival shares with yours, but feel free to gamble if that's your desire

Comment

Working...
                    X