• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Covid-19 gone from New Zealand

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    How exactly did that help all the businesses enduring a far stricter lockdown than the UK?
    It didn't... directly.
    It did... indirectly.

The question was, how is NZ protecting businesses and jobs? The more severe the CV measures, the more expensive they likely are one way or the other.
    Because not everything is measured in terms of money. What value do you put on a human life?
    And the massive benefit of having a healthy population is that they can go back to work.

The poor financial traders just see a couple of months lost income - it's almost like they had their tables turned over outside the temple. The good samaritans see lives saved.
    Your call, I guess.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Because not everything is measured in terms of money. What value do you put on a human life?
      Value of life - Wikipedia

UK is £60K I think, if you die on the NHS frontline...

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Value of life - Wikipedia

UK is £60K I think, if you die on the NHS frontline...
        NHS death is service benefit is also 2 x pensionable pay (if a pension member).

However, if healthcare workers die after contracting Covid19 at work (according to balance of probabilities if there is doubt), compensation should be due as per other industrial injuries. One for the lawyers and courts I expect, if the state doesn't increase the amount.

And give the size of hat bailouts to other areas of the economy, 60k is a small sum.

Comment

The science is pretty obvious why this really wouldn't help. Those nice scientists explained it in basic terms for people like you, did you need a refresher in easy words?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
          Could you link to an explanation for me please as I genuinely don't understand the explanation as to why this wouldn't have helped if implemented months ago. Did the countries that did lockdown international travel have different scientists or the same ones but just interpreted the results differently?

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            How about NZ and Wales?

NZ population: ~4.9 million
            Wales population: ~3.1 million

NZ deaths (until 23/3): 18
            Wales deaths (until 25/3): 774

I suspect the difference is that that New Zealand has the advantage of not having a load of infectious English people living next door to it! Also doesn’t have Boris Johnson as it’s political leader
            It probably has better PPE provisioning than Germany too, eh Wilhelmet?
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
            X