• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When lockdown is lifted is anyone planning to return to the office?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scooty WFH

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Scooty WFH

So many issues with that...
      1. Too few hulls, so you can't get in to the shallow bays, you don't go as fast, and your rum slides off the table when you unfurl the spinnaker.
      2. No barbecue, no rear shower (or if there is, it's too close to the wheel)
      3. Cabin windows look frosted
      4. No fenders
      5. Far too heavily photoshopped.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I expect there will be some office attendance at some point but there's been no indication yet as to when that is likely to start. ClientCo hasn't even raised it as far as I'm aware.

I was always planning on being part time in the office as there's no practical reason to be there every day so I suspect it'll be two or three days a week. It would be nice to actually meet the Client and the team I'm working with, and then go back to being remote.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          1. Too few hulls, so you can't get in to the shallow bays, you don't go as fast, and your rum slides off the table when you unfurl the spinnaker.
          4. No fenders
          INKSPE

Your crew unfurl the spinnaker.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I highly doubt anyone will be in an office straight away unless their office is particularly small.

The only way a medium- large office will be able to observe social distancing is through developing a rota system where a maximum of one department is allowed in at a time.
            Assuming that is even worth doing, since most jobs can be done remote.
            There is gonna be a lot of jobs impacted if WFH carries on for months though, some roles will have a severe lack of work to do without an office being there i.e security, facilities, e.t.c .

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              INKSPE

Well, on that one I'd want a crew for it as it appears to be manual (even if the winches are electric)

On a decent boat, I'd expect there to be a furl motor on it.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                INKSPE

Scooty IS the crew, you muppet...
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  4. No fenders
                  6. No breakfast buffet

Comment

Took two calls already today. One offering remote working only as a temporary solution, expected to return to the office once lockdown is lifted. Not feeling comfortable letting someone else decide when that should be so discussion ended quite briefly.
                    The second one, a startup was keen on having people on site, even the agent said that he is not sure how are they going to do that as they are not essential work.
                    I mentioned to both that I am interested in remote work with only essential travel to site, apparently it’s a no go.
                    Is it me or this is quite odd?

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                      Took two calls already today. One offering remote working only as a temporary solution, expected to return to the office once lockdown is lifted. Not feeling comfortable letting someone else decide when that should be so discussion ended quite briefly.
                      The second one, a startup was keen on having people on site, even the agent said that he is not sure how are they going to do that as they are not essential work.
                      I mentioned to both that I am interested in remote work with only essential travel to site, apparently it’s a no go.
                      Is it me or this is quite odd?
                      Clients are finding it hard to adjust to the new reality. There will be plenty of unemployed contractors willing to take a chance.

Comment

Working...
                      X