• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When lockdown is lifted is anyone planning to return to the office?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Scooty IS the crew, you muppet...
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      The question is more whether restrictions will last so long that companies have gotten used to people WFH and don't see the need to try and get everyone back in the office.
      I think there is too much of their prerogative that would be at stake to accept such a position. They would fight it tooth and nail.

Recently read Bulltulip Jobs - David Graeber, the portrait of modern corporatism is so vividly presented that I felt a huge relief after reading it.Things just went into place in my mind, I was always aware they were like that but at same time guilty/paranoid for thinking that.

There are multiple levels of unnecessary management at stake, part of the “management feudalism” alongside the social order as we know it. Think they’d rather see a few people die... that will turn into another fudged statistic then risk the above.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
        I think there is too much of their prerogative that would be at stake to accept such a position. They would fight it tooth and nail.

Recently read Bulltulip Jobs - David Graeber, the portrait of modern corporatism is so vividly presented that I felt a huge relief after reading it.Things just went into place in my mind, I was always aware they were like that but at same time guilty/paranoid for thinking that.

There are multiple levels of unnecessary management at stake, part of the “management feudalism” alongside the social order as we know it. Think they’d rather see a few people die... that will turn into another fudged statistic then risk the above.
        All other things being equal, what is cheaper for a large corporate, a Covid 19 death or a redundancy?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          The CNB 66 has had my eye for sometime now. If I were planing on staying out on the water for lengthy periods of time, I might consider a multihull but I prefer feeling the control of a mono hull.

CNB 66 : Luxury sailing yacht | CNB yacht builders
          If you've ever done a conf call on a laptop while "working", you'll know stability is useful.
          A mono can be fun, but if you're island hopping in the Caribbean, the best bays are quite shallow.
          CNB 66 has a draught of 2.95m

This is 1.54m:
          54 | Nautitech
          (just as an example)
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            All other things being equal, what is cheaper for a large corporate, a Covid 19 death or a redundancy?
            A death, no redundancy payment, no pension no administrative paperwork to get rid if people.
            Maybe a potential lawsuit but unless there is direct causality between death and being forced to come into work I can’t see much risk for them.

If gov lifts lockdown then the message is we’re open for business. No liability on their side, there might be some H&S policies, maybe some new social distancing rules but thought to benefit business first. More designed to show that “they care” than for any actual effectiveness.
            Last edited by GigiBronz; 29 April 2020, 15:05.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              If you've ever done a conf call on a laptop while "working", you'll know stability is useful.
              A mono can be fun, but if you're island hopping in the Caribbean, the best bays are quite shallow.
              CNB 66 has a draught of 2.95m

This is 1.54m:
              54 | Nautitech
              (just as an example)

The Nautitech is very nice. The outremer 55 I've been on, amazing vessel really is. Love how you can change the helm position weather depending. Also having surround views from one deck is a plus with must catamarans in general.

New Outremer 55 Catamaran - Outremer Yachting
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I would always prefer to work from home given the choice and in this climate I think people should now be given the legal right to do so unless an employer can very clearly demonstrate why they can't.

Saying that, I would return to the office regardless of them taking any measures. I am firmly in the "lets get back to work" mentality. Whatever the client wants.
                Last edited by dx4100; 29 April 2020, 15:38.

Comment

Client Co are speculating that when the office opens then social distancing will be enforced and those who use public transport will not be required to go in.

Obviously Pre-Covid contracts could not park on site and had to use public transport to get to Client Co.

On that rummor I'm not expecting to go back into the office this year/before contract expires in October.
                  Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
                    I would always prefer to work from home given the choice and in this climate I think people should now be given the legal right to do so unless an employer can very clearly demonstrate why they can't.

Saying that, I would return to the office regardless of them taking any measures. I am firmly in the "lets get back to work" mentality. Whatever the client wants.
                    Even if the workplace is unsafe?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      Even if the workplace is unsafe?
                      That is quite an open ended question

I am talking only in relation to the current covid-19 outbreak. Not other factors.

Having read everything I think I am incredibly unlikely to be affected by the virus and this drives my own personal decision and opinion on if I would return to the workplace or not.

The level of risk is obviously different for each of us.

Comment

Working...
                      X