• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When lockdown is lifted is anyone planning to return to the office?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I'm very glad that you're happy to take the risk to yourself. Less so that you're happy to take the risk of passing it to others.
    Can you tell me what risk that is???

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
      Death? Indeed the rates are more concentrated towards the higher age group but nobody is spared.
      You could get long term health effects, reduced pulmonar capacity and others.
      It is particularly dangerous for high performance athletes because this could take them out of the game.
      And still you feel infallible in front of it.
      It is said we all have a death wish more or less present in our subconscious... some people could have higher levels and so don’t feel they should be on the cautious side.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
        The risk of being an asymptomatic carrier. It's not all about you you know.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          The risk of being an asymptomatic carrier. It's not all about you you know.
          40 years of Thatcherite individualism was never going to be good preparation for a pandemic like this.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
            It is said we all have a death wish more or less present in our subconscious... some people could have higher levels and so don’t feel they should be on the cautious side.
            I don't think it's a death wish, more a coming to terms with our mortality. No one gets out alive.

So some will accept the risk of catching the virus instead of say struggling to pay for food and the bills if the only current way of them earning money is to go back to work in a potentially unsafe environment (public transport and/or workplace). Some will choose the perceived risk over the current stress they are experiencing for whatever reason.

The best thing the government could do is to somehow get us all access to quick reliable testing that also works in asymptomatic carriers to tell if currently have the virus or if have already had it. The former then isolate, the latter get a 'return to normal life' pass including no risks of going back into the office. Until then then everyone needs to do a personal risk assessment and make sure they can live with the consequences of their actions.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
              I don't think it's a death wish, more a coming to terms with our mortality. No one gets out alive.

So some will accept the risk of catching the virus instead of say struggling to pay for food and the bills if the only current way of them earning money is to go back to work in a potentially unsafe environment (public transport and/or workplace). Some will choose the perceived risk over the current stress they are experiencing for whatever reason.

The best thing the government could do is to somehow get us all access to quick reliable testing that also works in asymptomatic carriers to tell if currently have the virus or if have already had it. The former then isolate, the latter get a 'return to normal life' pass including no risks of going back into the office. Until then then everyone needs to do a personal risk assessment and make sure they can live with the consequences of their actions.
              True, but it is difficult to find a working solution at the moment.
              The view from the leading class is probably not any different to what we had before this: a few will have to be sacrificed at the altar of economic prosperity, a majority impoverished , bad food and lack of access to health services so that another group could prosper.

In the meanwhile job adverts seem to be very similar to this:

Senior Fullstack Engineer

Central London

Remote onboarding/Remote working for the foreseeable, however must be able to work onsite once restrictions have been lifted

ASAP start date

Once restrictions have been lifted meaning once lockdown is gone or all social distancing disappears? I would assume the first but then hopefully GOV will put a policy in place. Hopefully.

Benefits:

A competitive salary and bonus package
              A healthy learning and training budget, as well as the chance to go to conferences around the world every year
              The latest equipment -Linux or Apple or Windows machine
              Free breakfast, healthy snacks, coffee and soft drinks
              Health insurance
              Moving day off, birthday day off, charitable day off
              In office gym and pilates + yoga classes
              Flexi holiday policy
              Bike to work scheme

Season ticket loans
              Employer matching pension up to 7.5%
              1 month full paid paternity leave
              Attractive maternity leave policy

the package is rubbish and half of them do not apply in the new word anyway...

Comment

They'll be outmanouvered by more agile innovative competitors, as will many other businesses trying to cling onto the old ways.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

True, but it is difficult to find a working solution at the moment.
                  The view from the leading class is probably not any different to what we had before this: a few will have to be sacrificed at the altar of economic prosperity, a majority impoverished , bad food and lack of access to health services so that another group could prosper.

In the meanwhile job adverts seem to be very similar to this:

Senior Fullstack Engineer

Central London

Remote onboarding/Remote working for the foreseeable, however must be able to work onsite once restrictions have been lifted

ASAP start date

Once restrictions have been lifted meaning once lockdown is gone or all social distancing disappears? I would assume the first but then hopefully GOV will put a policy in place. Hopefully.

Benefits:

A competitive salary and bonus package
                  A healthy learning and training budget, as well as the chance to go to conferences around the world every year
                  The latest equipment -Linux or Apple or Windows machine
                  Free breakfast, healthy snacks, coffee and soft drinks
                  Health insurance
                  Moving day off, birthday day off, charitable day off
                  In office gym and pilates + yoga classes
                  Flexi holiday policy
                  Bike to work scheme

Season ticket loans
                  Employer matching pension up to 7.5%
                  1 month full paid paternity leave
                  Attractive maternity leave policy

'Equipment' never seems like a 'benefit'.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    'Equipment' never seems like a 'benefit'.
                    pretty much.

I can't see anyone getting enthusiastic about anything in there.
                    Most of the adds look as if it is a coordinated effort to make everything appear so crap that even a minor difference would be appreciated by a potential employee.

Comment

Anyone still in doubt that the recent PM message is a premature push to get people back to work?
                      Although message is vague it is still clear enough that those who cannot work from home should go back to work.
                      Should this entitle any corporate stooge that manages people to claim "this is not a remote role" and invite everyone on site despite the fact that the role could be arguably done either way?
                      I would guess so...

Same old same old.

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                      X