• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Make China Pay!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I know something about this as I'm working in the area and in the last few days have had to read as much academic literature on Covid as I can.
    It seems an unusual form of what was then thought to be pneumonia started appearing in Wuhan in late December.
    By late December/early Jan (uncertain exactly when) some doctors attempted to spread the word that it was an unknown and possibly dangerously transmissible virus.
    The authorities clamped down on them for about a week or two (time unknown for sure).
    There was then a standoff between the Chinese leadership establishment and its scientific community which the latter won and the WHO was notified.
    At this point the exact method and rate of transmission was unknown as with all new diseases.

Seems to me that at all points WHO put out what they knew. But in the Swine Flu epidemic of 2009-10 discouraged them from crying wolf too early.
    They were heavily criticised during that episode for declaring a pandemic too early.

With an R number of 3 (which is very high in terms of exponential spread) Covid spread faster than Chinese authorities or WHO could keep up.
    That's been the case even in some countries which had plenty of notice and time to prepare like the UK.

To summarise, yes the Chinese did cover up to start with, but their scientists rebelled and it was all out in the open by mid to late Jan.
    (I have the advantage of working in the field and I postponed booking holidays in late Jan as I would otherwise have done, as I thought this would become big).
    Could they have prevented it spreading if that week or 2 cover up hadn't happened?
    Hard to tell.
    Its so transmissible that I doubt it. Just 10 people visiting China and contracting it would have spread it to 30, those 30 to 90, 90 to 270 etc.
    As we have seen in the UK you only need a few tens or hundreds of travellers/tourists to China/Italy to start a raging community transmission.
    And since it can be spread asymptomatically, the Chinese would have had to have banned all travel by everybody at that time.
    Humbug. Nothing a drop of bleach couldn't have sorted out.

Comment

A list of nasty virus outbreaks over the last 20 years;

WHO | Disease outbreaks by year

About one a week, many from animals.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

What I absolutely despise about all this is the politicization of a disease.
        Blaming China is stupid.
        Zoonotic viruses spread wherever humans come into contact with animals.
        It's not even a function of eating them as I noted in an earlier post.
        Swine flu came from Mexico, Spanish flu unknown, first recorded cases in Kansas.
        Criticising the current UK govt. seems to annoy some.
        It's not that I believe Labour would have done better (I'm not a Labour voter), but there have been serious failings and I hate that they're trying to cover up.
        Health and death are not political issues, they're technical ones.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Hate sells newspapers

Reason to hate the Netherlands

What about "British investment banks plunder China"
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

With Sinovac a Chinese Biotech company apparently ahead of the pack on developing a COVID19 vaccine, it would be interesting to see what happens if Trump starts a trade war with China and they have an effective vaccine.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              With Sinovac a Chinese Biotech company apparently ahead of the pack on developing a COVID19 vaccine, it would be interesting to see what happens if Trump starts a trade war with China and they have an effective vaccine.
              You're surprised the Chinese have a vaccine already? They had it 2 years before the outbreak I'm sure...

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                This is Trump's new catchphrase.

Will the USA get trillions out of China? Maybe cancel all the debt they owe to China?

Will that win him the election?
                Even considering defaulting on sovereign debt should have him impeached again

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                  Even considering defaulting on sovereign debt should have him impeached again
                  I think they will phrase it as:

"USA owes China $1trn in sovereign debt. Now China owes $1trn in damages for the economic and human cost to the USA. Therefore we cancel the debt and you (China) don't have to pay us the damages"

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    I think they will phrase it as:

"USA owes China $1trn in sovereign debt. Now China owes $1trn in damages for the economic and human cost to the USA. Therefore we cancel the debt and you (China) don't have to pay us the damages"
                    That's right and then China will pile in and buy more debt to prop up the US economy.

win-win

we need Trump in charge

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Trump drawing up plans to punish China

Reminds me of 1914 when the Austro-Hungarian empire drew up plans to plans to punish Serbia,
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X