• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ok, so I have a question...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, so I have a question...

Given that sex (not "gender" ) is binary; what was the gap that gave rise to the 7% increase in 12 months?

Reference: The Self-Employed Landscape Report 2019 | IPSE
    Last edited by wattaj; 30 April 2020, 17:02. Reason: Clarity.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

It gets worse: there is clearly a demographic or total at play in the breakdown of the data, but this detail is missing from their charts.

Wouldn't have been allowed to happen in my day.
    Last edited by wattaj; 30 April 2020, 17:20. Reason: Clarity.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Ah, hold on a mo'; I think that their using a circle representative of the whole and not, as I had assumed, as a pie. That's the only explanation that I can come to for this nonsense.

The whole report is riddled with this rubbish.

Excellent work IPSE.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Is the first chart doing two things?

1. What % of artisan cheesemakers are male / female
        2. Of the total increase in artisan cheesemakers since 2018 what proportion of that increase is male / female

Probably the same for the second chart but this time looking at single stay at home parents needing fast broadband?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Is the first chart doing two things?

1. What % of artisan cheesemakers are male / female
          2. Of the total increase in artisan cheesemakers since 2018 what proportion of that increase is male / female
          Yes, this is the conclusion that I came to as well. It's just not clear from the presentation of the data... that's the kind of thing that annoys me to an unnecessary degree.
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
            Ah, hold on a mo'; I think that their using a circle representative of the whole and not, as I had assumed, as a pie. That's the only explanation that I can come to for this nonsense.

The whole report is riddled with this rubbish.

Excellent work IPSE.
            Remember when ipse said average contractor rates were £7.64 an hour

We all laughed and took this piss, that report they paid £50K on was kicked into the long grass

Now it’s a reality so wait a while it might become reality

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              Remember when ipse said average contractor rates were £7.64 an hour

We all laughed and took this piss, that report they paid £50K on was kicked into the long grass

Now it’s a reality so wait a while it might become reality.
              I think that we might have hurt their feelings a bit that day. So sad.
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

It must be the all singing, value for money, CRM that they obtained the stats from...
                I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Anyone else find it strange that the only references that IPSE could cite was their own research rather than any independent source?
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post

Given that sex (not "gender" ) is binary; what was the gap that gave rise to the 7% increase in 12 months?

Reference: The Self-Employed Landscape Report 2019 | IPSE
                    Its not the greatest visualisation but the blue is % change of the total value for that specific gender from 2018 to 2019, not the % change of the % split between genders.

Data visualisation is still the wild west out there. Lots of people doing it without any training and you end up with weird visualisations like that.

Comment

Working...
                    X