• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting rich sitting at home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting rich sitting at home

House prices 'unexpectedly' rose in April - and are above GBP220,000 | This is Money

Shock surge in house prices for lockdown April as average home rises 3.7% - the UK's fastest pace of growth since February 2017
    Me 'ouse is me pension 'innit?

So much for the theory of the UK economy being in melt down.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

We do live in the EUSSR, innit.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

These measures are going to be worthless for the foreseeable future. They're either pre-CV (80% in this case) or post-CV on close to zero transactions.

You don't have an economic crash without a housing crash, esp. in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          These measures are going to be worthless for the foreseeable future. They're either pre-CV (80% in this case) or post-CV on close to zero transactions.

That's because normally interest rates are jacked up when the recession occurs.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

We didn't have a proper one in 2007. With near zero interest rates people can sit it out. But with much higher unemployment this time round who knows. I was praying for one last time, this time not so sure

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              That's because normally interest rates are jacked up when the recession occurs.

Like 2009?

Mortgage LTVs will decline as the banks de-risk mortgage lending and unemployment will increase dramatically, far beyond the last recession (even with the furlough scheme). Values were stretched coming into this and the London market will follow other, similar, markets around the world. Leveraged BTL is stuffed; rents are already declining and prices follow rents. As for interest rates in the medium-term, it’s difficult to say. The shock is deflationary. The stimulus isn’t.

Comment

As for interest rates in the medium-term, it’s difficult to say. The shock is deflationary. The stimulus isn’t.
                I don't think it'll happen but it's quite possible that the UK will have to raise rates to defend sterling. It wouldn't be pretty if they did. I think we'd all be stuffed if the mountain of credit unwound.

They are definitely pulling mortgages, I missed out on offloading a house by a matter of days, maybe even 2 days :-(
                Last edited by rootsnall; 1 May 2020, 11:57.

Comment

Like 2009?

Mortgage LTVs will decline as the banks de-risk mortgage lending and unemployment will increase dramatically, far beyond the last recession (even with the furlough scheme). Values were stretched coming into this and the London market will follow other, similar, markets around the world. Leveraged BTL is stuffed; rents are already declining and prices follow rents. As for interest rates in the medium-term, it’s difficult to say. The shock is deflationary. The stimulus isn’t.
                  House owners are not as stretched as they were in 2009:

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    House owners are not as stretched as they were in 2009:

I think you are going to get a lot more repossessions though due to unemployment.

Comment

Working...
                    X