• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will you download the app?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will you download the app?

So the government will ask that we all download an app that tracks who we're in bluetooth range of

Coronavirus: Contact tracing app to be trialled on Isle of Wight - BBC News

What does the panel think?
    Yes
    24.00%
    No
    60.00%
    I've been in contact with Andyw's mum
    16.00%

i'm not in bluetooth range of the isle of wight.
    so no point

Comment

Soon will be mass-adopted and mandatory when you are out on the streets.
      Will prevent the plebs protesting when the new corporate feudalism will be put in place.

“Some of you may die ...
      but that is a sacrifice I am willing to make” meme placeholder
      Last edited by GigiBronz; 3 May 2020, 15:32.

Comment

Its all part of the new norm no one voted for!

See only who they tell you to see
        Go where they tell you to go
        Only let into your house who they say you can

And install their app helping them to do it... and all in the name of protecting the NHS everyone now cares about (but no one wanted to pay extra taxes for). Oh and now I am meant to care about other people!

Seriously we are going to make North Korea look positively progressive in the coming years.

Ok taking my tin hat off for a moment...

To cut along story short I probably will install it but I want to see a benefit to doing so and its got to be better than the currently proposed (media talk) new norm.
        Last edited by dx4100; 3 May 2020, 16:40.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
          Its all part of the new norm no one voted for!

See only who they tell you to see
          Go where they tell you to go
          Only let into your house who they say you can

And install their app helping them to do it... and all in the name of protecting the NHS everyone now cares about (but no one wanted to pay extra taxes for). Oh and now I am meant to care about other people!

Seriously we are going to make North Korea look positively progressive in the coming years.

To cut along story short I probably will install it but I want to see a benefit to doing so and its got to be better than the currently proposed (media talk) new norm.
          Hysterical nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Hysterical nonsense.
            More - tongue in cheek

But I am happy with either

Comment

I never have Bluetooth enabled

Comment

I rarely take my phone out with me for short trips, unless I'm actively looking for my next contract and expecting calls from pimps.

Why lug it around for nothing? So it would be pretty pointless for me to install the app.

Add to that the absurdly long two week or more delay between a person being diagnosed and their proximity contacts informed and the whole idea is ridiculous.

Also, so many people, and _their_ contacts, and so on recursively, will have to be informed each time that half the country will receive a text message every day, making the whole thing even more futile!
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I've been reading about the German implementation which has taken into account, and onboard, various organisations such as Chaos Computer Club, privacy organisations, citizens organisations and so on which is probably why they changed to the Apple/Google route. If the UK version is anything like the German one then it will probably use Bluetooth Low Energy (aka Bluetooth Smart): Bluetooth Low Energy - Wikipedia

I suspect that regardless of the app, adtech already knows everything about you....
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

So the government had two options:

1) Google / Apple partnership using de-centralised data tracking and local notifications

2) NHSX and GCHQ spooks create a centralised tracking system

And they chose (2)

Oh goodie! How long before our individual GPS history is available on the black market, used for blackmail or by thieves planning burglaries?

Comment

Working...
                    X