• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will you download the app?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I've been reading about the German implementation which has taken into account, and onboard, various organisations such as Chaos Computer Club, privacy organisations, citizens organisations and so on which is probably why they changed to the Apple/Google route. If the UK version is anything like the German one then it will probably use Bluetooth Low Energy (aka Bluetooth Smart): Bluetooth Low Energy - Wikipedia

I suspect that regardless of the app, adtech already knows everything about you....
    The UK government, in its infinite wisdom stupidity, has decided that an implementation that takes privacy concerns into account isn’t as good as one that lets them store everybody’s location data on a central server

And for that reason, I’m out.

Comment

Location data is essential - at least can be used to alert stupid people who refuse to install it, give them chance to survive and avoid killing others

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        The UK government, in its infinite wisdom stupidity, has decided that an implementation that takes privacy concerns into account isn’t as good as one that lets them store everybody’s location data on a central server

And for that reason, I’m out.
        Not entirely sure I trust Apple/Google any more but your point is still very valid.

Comment

If they get everyone back to work it will be pointless as inevitably there will be 15 people spending 15-20 min with each other in a carriage. If it is a simple 5 days backwards looking algorithm, any two devices that have spent 15min within a reasonable distance to each other. 15people each way to work, everyone in the office and all the people that every single person in the office has had contact with that day and previous 5 days, and so on , then all members of the household etc.
          Depending on how they build the logic it will either be over-engineered or serve no purpose.
          I would vote they will choose the second as will shave off some fear and everyone will have a shiny new app to look at and praise the gov and NHS.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            I suspect that regardless of the app, adtech already knows everything about you....
            If you are worried about what the NHS might find out about you, but you're already on Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn/Google/Amazon then you don't really understand the concept of "if you don't pay for a product you are the product"
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
              So the government had two options:

1) Google / Apple partnership using de-centralised data tracking and local notifications

2) NHSX and GCHQ spooks create a centralised tracking system

And they chose (2)

Oh goodie! How long before our individual GPS history is available on the black market, used for blackmail or by thieves planning burglaries?
              Contact-tracing apps: Why the NHS said no to Apple and Google's plan | ZDNet

Bluetooth-based contact-tracing apps come with the risk of over-reporting some interactions between individuals, because the range of a Bluetooth device can vary depending on how the device is held or whether the user is indoors or outdoors.

In other words, a huge amount of false-positives can be generated via Bluetooth. A centralized approach is the only way to make sure that if someone reports being sick, a warning will be sent only to the app users that have come into epidemiologically significant contact with the infected person – and not to the person waiting for the bus on the other side of the road from them.

Ross Anderson, professor of security engineering at the University of Cambridge, told ZDNet: "You can't do that kind of analytics if you take the Google and Apple approach, which will broadcast a warning to everybody that has been registered as soon as someone calls in sick. The problem is that you'll end up getting an alert every so often, advising you to go home and self-isolate, and 99% of the time it's going to be a false positive."
              Again, why would people trust Apple/Google more when it comes to privacy when one is founded purely on the principle of selling peoples data to advertisers?!

EDIT: For disclosure, although I am working with NHSX at the moment, I am not in the cell creating the Contract Tracing App but I am privy to the internal updates they give.
              Last edited by SimonMac; 4 May 2020, 08:41.
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I only have bluetooth on for my commute for my headphones. Currently I can complete my commute more quickly than I can sync my headphones via bluetooth so it's pointless.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  If you are worried about what the NHS might find out about you, but you're already on Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn/Google/Amazon then you don't really understand the concept of "if you don't pay for a product you are the product"
                  And it's not just them. Every time you use your credit card, every time you use a loyalty card, every time you do online shopping, in fact nearly any interaction where a computer and any of your personal information comes into play it all goes into a big databases and is used by many different companies. It is very difficult to keep below the radar now...
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    Contact-tracing apps: Why the NHS said no to Apple and Google's plan | ZDNet

Again, why would people trust Apple/Google more when it comes to privacy when one is founded purely on the principle of selling peoples data to advertisers?!

EDIT: For disclosure, although I am working with NHSX at the moment, I am not in the cell creating the Contract Tracing App but I am privy to the internal updates they give.
                    Like the NHS:

Revealed: how drugs giants can access your health records | Technology | The Guardian

Should we be worried about the NHS selling patient data? | The BMJ

The Download: Selling patient data | Expert Briefing | Health Service Journal

But you can opt-out, apparently:

National data opt-out - NHS Digital
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

If the UK version is anything like the German one then it will probably use Bluetooth Low Energy (aka Bluetooth Smart)
                      Not heard of that. I did wonder if having Bluetooth turned on would significantly increase power consumption. Never use Bluetooth meself but I know when I've left GPS tracking apps on after me walks the battery goes flat much quicker.

PS Maybe a lower frequency would use less power. Is there a Redtooth?
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X