• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will you download the app?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    One of the biggest difference between the NHSX approach and Apple/Google is that Apple/Google will send an alert from anyone who reports symptoms even if those are malicious or misreported. With the NHSX approach a test will be sent out, if it isn’t completed or comes back negative, that reporting will be discounted creating less false positives.

I know for my own experience the more notifications I get from a service, the more I am likely to ignore and miss the important ones.
    Why have other rich, developed countries went down the Apple/Google route then?

TheRegister article posted tears the NHSX's (GCHQ's, let's be realistic) technical methodology. It doesn't work well if both devices are locked, which is the state a phone spends of its time in when you are outside, at the supermarket, wherever. The Apple/Google implementation doesn't have this issue.

Sounds like crud to me. I'm disappointed that the technical aspects are so poor for this. It isn't ok to blame the limitations on the operating systems when the original Apple/Google route would have sufficed.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Also, so many people, and _their_ contacts, and so on recursively, will have to be informed each time that half the country will receive a text message every day, making the whole thing even more futile!
      It works in other nations. Are you sure you understand how it works?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        “ As a result, Android phones, which are less aggressive about shutting down unused apps to preserve battery life, will be key to ensuring the contact tracing works: they will “wake up” nearby iPhones, ensuring that the contact tracing works.

If even that does not occur, the app has a second fallback, sending a push notification to users asking them to re-open the application, in effect restarting the clock.”

Critical mass of Android users 'needed for success of NHS contact tracing app' | World news | The Guardian

What a load of crap

We are truly doomed now
        Not convinced by that article at all. Seems way off the mark. The app only notifies you to relaunch it if you manually kill it. That’s because killing the app will also kill any background processing until you relaunch it.

Comment

Bit more on my earlier post. As I stated iOS apps can act as Bluetooth centrals and peripherals AND they can do both in the background but a background central cannot discover a background peripheral on another device (remember the app is acting as both).

This explains why:
          ios - Core Bluetooth advertise and scan in the background - Stack Overflow

Comment

I will, but its ultimately pointless if it's not mandatory - much like a lot of this country's strategy so far.

Comment

It’s a load of crap Govt did not bend over both Apple and Google to get special exceptions for their app

Comment

“ The NHS has tasked a private company to "investigate" if it can switch its contact-tracing app over to the global standard proposed by Apple and Google, it has emerged just days after the UK’s version launched on the Isle of Wight.”

NHS considers u-turn
                on contact-tracing app with switch to Apple and Google model

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
                  I will, but its ultimately pointless if it's not mandatory - much like a lot of this country's strategy so far.
                  Civil liberties are a pain aren't they. If only the UK were more like Vietnam.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    “ The NHS has tasked a private company to "investigate" if it can switch its contact-tracing app over to the global standard proposed by Apple and Google, it has emerged just days after the UK’s version launched on the Isle of Wight.”

NHS considers u-turn
                    on contact-tracing app with switch to Apple and Google model
                    Could just be hedging their bets but I’ve been predicting a u-turn on this since the news broke that they were rolling their own.

Comment

Planning on developing a new app for some reason?
                      #4. NHSX - Proximity (Contact Tracing) App: Mobile Delivery team contract with Zuhlke Engineering Ltd - Contracts Finder

Edit - had to laugh. IR35? The Department of Health and Social Care don't want anything to do with that...

4.2 The Supplier must retain overall control of the Supplier Staff so that they are not considered to be employees, workers, agents or contractors of the Buyer.
                      4.3 The Supplier may substitute any Supplier Staff as long as they have the equivalent experience and qualifications to the substituted staff member.
                      4.4 The Buyer may conduct IR35 Assessments using the ESI tool to assess whether the Supplier’s engagement under the Call-Off Contract is Inside or Outside IR35.
                      4.5 The Buyer may End this Call-Off Contract for Material Breach if the Supplier is delivering the Services Inside IR35.
                      4.6 The Buyer may need the Supplier to complete an Indicative Test using the ESI tool before the Start Date or at any time during the provision of Services to provide a preliminary view of whether the Services are being delivered Inside or Outside IR35. If the Supplier has completed the Indicative Test, it must download and provide a copy of the PDF with the 14- digit ESI reference number from the summary outcome screen and promptly provide a copy to the Buyer.
                      4.7 If the Indicative Test indicates the delivery of the Services could potentially be Inside IR35, the Supplier must provide the Buyer with all relevant information needed to enable the Buyer to conduct its own IR35 Assessment.
                      4.8 If it is determined by the Buyer that the Supplier is Outside IR35, the Buyer will provide the ESI reference number and a copy of the PDF to the Supplier.
                      Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 7 May 2020, 21:01.

Comment

Working...
                      X