• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nostalgia not what it used to be

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    OS/2 Warp Server ??

You are still using a strain of OS/2 today if you use modern windows.

OS/2 - Wikipedia

First time I saw OS/2 it was obviously the future, OS/3 which was based on an illicit night of passion with VMS and became NT.

Thing that made the difference was NT 3.51 was much cheaper than OS/2 or Netware. One could have a server (normally a workstation with go faster stripes not a real sever that came later) that ran pretty well as a workstation for a few hundred quid. Combine that with M$ getting in bed with Dell & HP for drivers it was a no brainer. No hunting for the right premium card to run under OS/2 or Netware.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      You are still using a strain of OS/2 today if you use modern windows.

OS/2 - Wikipedia

First time I saw OS/2 it was obviously the future, OS/3 which was based on an illicit night of passion with VMS and became NT.

Thing that made the difference was NT 3.51 was much cheaper than OS/2 or Netware. One could have a server (normally a workstation with go faster stripes not a real sever that came later) that ran pretty well as a workstation for a few hundred quid. Combine that with M$ getting in bed with Dell & HP for drivers it was a no brainer. No hunting for the right premium card to run under OS/2 or Netware.
      In the early to mid 90's I was one of the few people daft enough to be certified in OS/2 and later, Warp. Might seem laughable now, but it was out there in every bank and insurance co in the country (at least on the server side and often on the desktop) so was a constant and easy source of contracts and simple to find work. Until NT4 pushed it out of the market, I never looked for jobs. They came to me :-) You could get a lot of short term, high money, good rates and full expenses, just for installations and server configs. I loved the OS/2 days :-)
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

In the early to mid 90's I was one of the few people daft enough to be certified in OS/2 and later, Warp. Might seem laughable now, but it was out there in every bank and insurance co in the country (at least on the server side and often on the desktop) so was a constant and easy source of contracts and simple to find work. Until NT4 pushed it out of the market, I never looked for jobs. They came to me :-) You could get a lot of short term, high money, good rates and full expenses, just for installations and server configs. I loved the OS/2 days :-)
        i liked it for running multiple 3270 terminals in one box.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          i liked it for running multiple 3270 terminals in one box.

I hope you were using ELEP2 for that and not some crappy 16 bit Windows equivalent running in compatibility

Comment

I hope you were using ELEP2 for that and not some crappy 16 bit Windows equivalent running in compatibility
            can't remember, really.
            i think it was a Goal systems product.
            i replaced a wall of operator screens with four or five workstations with it though.
            and was exceedingly well recompensed for it.

3270 emulation doesn't need much processor power anyway, it just gets you into the Real computer(s).

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              can't remember, really.
              i think it was a Goal systems product.
              i replaced a wall of operator screens with four or five workstations with it though.
              and was exceedingly well recompensed for it.

3270 emulation doesn't need much processor power anyway, it just gets you into the Real computer(s).
              Aye, but could you burn pirate software cds on them :-)

Comment

Aye, but could you burn pirate software cds on them :-)
                naw, ye couldnae.
                fairy nuff.

Comment

I miss getting paid around 40 pounds per floppy disk I inserted as soon as the nlms started installing. The server room was a highly paid youth club.

Netware 3.12, I still dream about you.

Comment

I occasionally bring up OS/2 as a VM for nostalgic reasons plus I quite like using it. There were calls to opensource a while ago but as IBM were still using in some products, i.e. the HMC which are now Linux it instead went here: ArcaOS 5.0 from Arca Noae is the new release of OS/2 for the 21st century
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      I occasionally bring up OS/2 as a VM for nostalgic reasons plus I quite like using it. There were calls to opensource a while ago but as IBM were still using in some products, i.e. the HMC which are now Linux it instead went here: ArcaOS 5.0 from Arca Noae is the new release of OS/2 for the 21st century
                      the HMC has a web GUI now, too.
                      scary
                      cheers for that link,might have a play.

Comment

Working...
                      X