• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nostalgia not what it used to be

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    the HMC has a web GUI now, too.
    scary
    cheers for that link,might have a play.
    Was using the new one on a z15 last week. We actually wrote an interface into the HMC so you didn't need to use the IBM web GUI as it was too complex for what we were doing. We just wanted to change memory and amount and type of processors quickly.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

The absolute joy when the rubber band holding the card deck together finally rots & they cascade all over the floor.
      Ah but doubtless you would have made a diagonal line across the top of the stack with a felt pen, so they'd be easy to sort!

I remember a batch compiler system, where you would feed a Cobol program into the card reader for overnight compilation and check the results the next morning, only to find you had omitted a full stop somewhere and the compile had failed!

I heard of someone who spent hours and hours trying to debug a Cobol program by poring over printouts, baffled at how it could possibly fail, until eventually they twigged that one full stop was a small blemish in the paper and wasn't actually in the program!
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Ah but doubtless you would have made a diagonal line across the top of the stack with a felt pen, so they'd be easy to sort!

I remember a batch compiler system, where you would feed a Cobol program into the card reader for overnight compilation and check the results the next morning, only to find you had omitted a full stop somewhere and the compile had failed!

I heard of someone who spent hours and hours trying to debug a Cobol program by poring over printouts, baffled at how it could possibly fail, until eventually they twigged that one full stop was a small blemish in the paper and wasn't actually in the program!
        We had a nice lady at Ferranti who was very adept at sorting punch cards with a knitting needle.
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          The card deck would have been SQCMed to put line numbers from 73 to 80 if it was source code or PGS (program image).

But it was still a pain in the arse.

Mostly quicker to repunch it.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            You are still using a strain of OS/2 today if you use modern windows.

OS/2 - Wikipedia

First time I saw OS/2 it was obviously the future, OS/3 which was based on an illicit night of passion with VMS and became NT.

Thing that made the difference was NT 3.51 was much cheaper than OS/2 or Netware. One could have a server (normally a workstation with go faster stripes not a real sever that came later) that ran pretty well as a workstation for a few hundred quid. Combine that with M$ getting in bed with Dell & HP for drivers it was a no brainer. No hunting for the right premium card to run under OS/2 or Netware.
            I was at IBM Hursley Park working on OS/2 for a while. The IBM version, obvs!
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              no.
              i've kept up, which is why i'm working with the latest software and hardware.
              and not that toytown windows/apple/android crap either.
              Ah, not playing with diodes any more then grandpa?
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Ah, not playing with diodes any more then grandpa?
                no son, - arthritis.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  The absolute joy when the rubber band holding the card deck together finally rots & they cascade all over the floor.
                  Just back from the punching bureau, 1500 lines of your finest COBOL ordered sequentially on punched cards. Senior op goes to load it into card reader watched by said programmer, fake tumbles and the whole lot goes on the floor. Cue apoplectic developer fit, then twenty seconds later he wondered why we were all doubled up laughing.

Sight unseen, just prior, the cards had been switched out for jumbled up old ones.

What wags we were.

p.s. I've not retired yet either. Learnt to code longhand on paper coding sheets, crossing zeroes and topping and tailing I's. One compile a day.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                  X