• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nostalgia not what it used to be

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nostalgia not what it used to be

Will be back on the bench in a few weeks so started looking today for my next contract to find literally nothing suitable on Jobserve. Now fully appreciating we are in a global pandemic and most other areas are struggling so that isn't really a surprise but reflecting over my last few years I have noted:
    • Longer gaps between contracts
    • More and more projects get cancelled and you with it for no good reason other than they get sick of paying for it
    • Recruitment seems broken. You get so far into the process then the role evaporates.
    • Rates are flat at best

I haven't actually had to go Inside IR35 yet but no doubt have that treat to look forward to.

So putting CV to one side for a moment are we just at a low point and things can only pick up or is the industry a terminal case?

the sky is falling and we're all going to die.

Comment

I think things are generally leaner and meaner than in my early days of contracting. Lots of big budget greenfield projects with a shortage of skills to perform them so things were slack and it was easy to make a crust. Most companies ( with some exceptions ) have now been through a few IT systems and many projects and aren't as naïve.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
        I think things are generally leaner and meaner than in my early days of contracting. Lots of big budget greenfield projects with a shortage of skills to perform them so things were slack and it was easy to make a crust. Most companies ( with some exceptions ) have now been through a few IT systems and many projects and aren't as naïve.
        Chancers like MF are now selling packets of chalk to school children.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Chancers like MF are now selling packets of chalk to school children.

There's money in white powder*

*please note, this is not Scooter level investment advice.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

If only it was still like the old days when you waited for the postman to bring your Freelance Informer and then faxed CVs off to agents.
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
              If only it was still like the old days when you waited for the postman to bring your Freelance Informer and then faxed CVs off to agents.
              And clients got into a bidding war to up your rate before you finally decided which offer to accept....

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                And clients got into a bidding war to up your rate before you finally decided which offer to accept....
                The segregated contractor table reading the FT job adverts out loud in earshot of the permies and stating you wouldn't get out of bed for what they were offering MDs

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                  I haven't actually had to go Inside IR35 yet but no doubt have that treat to look forward to.
                  How would you run your company from "inside" without making profit?

Comment

I remember on my first contract at a bank the benefit to the trading floor was huge saving millions, so it was an easy business case. You spend 1 million you get 10 million back, who cares if the contractor earns 100 or 200 grand.

This is the problem, projects don't earn millions any more they just make everything slightly more efficient.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X