• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coronavirus Shopping Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought a couple of cables so I can hook my laptops to my projector. And a few books. But otherwise, BAU.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working many billable days. Cutting out unneccessary spending. Building up warchest to prepare for the hard times.

Comment

Anybody shopped yer neighbours?

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
          Oh gods yes!

Not a cheap time!
          Haha, at least someone else is suffering from the virus in the same way I did make an Apple purchase or two...

Some quality stuff there! Regards to BGG XXX

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Growing chillis, yer right on. When the 'chillies' are ready I'll take 5 ounces of your finest bud, same time, same corner.

Just to make you aware, you'll probably get a free unmarked transit parked on your road with those purchases. Good luck with the 'chilli story.
          You are a bad man. Here's the proof, if want to believe the spiky leaved ones have been pushed to the side that's up to you

Cucumbers, Butternut Squash, Courgettes and Gherkins:

Chillis - I said they were astounding, and I stand by that statement:

Ignore the yellowish tomato, it was not potted on quickly enough. The chillis still in the tent are the hot ones, might well pot up and keep the Reaper in a spot in the house / tent but the others will move to the greenhouse at the end of the month.

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          I grow my chillies from seed in the greenhouse, then pot on. As the weather warms up, one will be in the kitchen and a couple of others left outside.
          As for my opium poppies, they are self seeded and keep coming up.

If anyone wants courgette, cucumber or tomato plants, let me know
          Also cosmos. We've got over 80 of them in paper pots.

Currently trying to work out the best place to get more compost from.
          My greenhouse is not in the best spot and it's easier to bring things on here as well, using a simple heated propagator as germination is better for me. Greenhouse would be too cold if you want to start them in Feb / March as well as they need a decent temperature to germinate - and I thought some of the hotter ones needed to be started as they take longer to reach maturity?

How much compost do you want? I have had four of the big bags (900L each) from here Compost & Topsoil For Sale | Compost Direct Ltd - Compost Direct - two veggie gold, one black gold and one mulch. Used the veggie gold for big pots of potatoes, pot of peas (bingo), carrots and strawberries and the veggie gold was for digging into the four veg plots and mixing with bagged compost for pots etc. Have used them a couple of times in the past and it's decent gear.

What are cosmos that you have in paper pots? I did all my peas this year in paper pots, meant to be better as you don't disturb the roots when planting out, I have had the best results so far ever with them. Growing Bingo in a big pot, Alderman (can grow 8ft tall, have grown a few times before), Hurst Greenshaft (good forum handle, will have to remember it) and Meteor and have some Carouby De Maussane & Oregon Sugar Pod mangetout varieties too.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
            What are cosmos that you have in paper pots?
            It's a daisy type flower. Available in a variety of colours. Very pretty

Cosmos Flower Colors - Different Varieties Of Cosmos Flowers

Comment

Next! Got a flat on my beloved Golf. The car has lasted 10 years so far and I don't want to get rid just yet, am hoping the car dealers will be desperate next year and I can get a bargain. The car has a flat so flat that I don't want to drive to the nearest garage to pump it up and I CBA getting the spare out. Much easier to buy a compressor - and not one of those poxy 12V ones, a proper one with a plug and everything. Arrived yesterday so not had time to play with it yet. Bought one with dust gun, gravity spray and tyre inflator attachments. Won't get used much but will hopefully last a long time and be well handy when required. Like I said in the OP, wanted for a long time but don't really need it!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                B&M sell compost and they are open because they sell food as well.
                Lots of supermarkets sell compost. They always have their gardening supplies in store from early March.

B&Q are also open - if you can stand it.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I nearly bought a bulk bag of compost, but my local garden centre was actually cheaper for big sacks so I loaded the car up until the back wheels were nearly rubbing just as this was all starting!

We have converted a substantial part of our garden to a makeshift allotment on the basis my wife is out of work and we might as well, just in case things went REALLY bad. The worst case is we have to eat lots of home-grown veg.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The greenhouse is full of brambles but the opium poppies seem to be flourishing in the bit that's about to become a lawn.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      I grow my chillies from seed in the greenhouse, then pot on. As the weather warms up, one will be in the kitchen and a couple of others left outside.
                      As for my opium poppies, they are self seeded and keep coming up.

If anyone wants courgette, cucumber or tomato plants, let me know
                      Also cosmos. We've got over 80 of them in paper pots.

Currently trying to work out the best place to get more compost from.
                      I've got about 4 tons of well rotted horse manure sitting in the corner of a field on Anglesey. Collect as much of it as you want!
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X