• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cool NASA website

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I'm almost inspired to purchase a telescope and get into this - though I have no idea where to start.
    At the smaller end.

If I was to get into it again I'd get an automated mount that tracks the motion of the earth and which you can set remotely, and where you don't look through the viewfinder but rather connect via wifi.

In this way, you can have the telescope sitting outside, while you're toast warm inside. You also can get great photos.

Otherwise, a pair of binoculars can be utterly amazing for viewing the night sky and a lot easier to use than a telescope.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

We have my grandfathers old telescope. It's nothing at all special and is about 70 year old now. However you can see the rings around Saturn through it which never fails to please the younger family members.
      England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

There was an earlier query on this thread as to what telescope to purchase - having ben an avid stargazer for ovr 40 years my advice is to consider investing in some quality binoculars - this link will give you a few options

Best Binoculars for Astronomy (UK) – Procular

I still use binoculars for quick and fast observations.

Finally have a wee look at this wonderful YouTube video on 30th anniversary of Space Telescope Hubble - this is still providing wonderful science - it is funded by NASA and 30 per cent (well last time i looked) European Space Agency,

YouTube

Comment

Comos Lovers - this is suberb - classical composer Eric Whittaker has set music to Hubbles Deep Field Image - I have just watched this on my large screen TV - wow !!!

Deep Field: The Impossible Magnitude of our Universehttps://deepfieldfilm.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            At the smaller end.

If I was to get into it again I'd get an automated mount that tracks the motion of the earth and which you can set remotely, and where you don't look through the viewfinder but rather connect via wifi.

In this way, you can have the telescope sitting outside, while you're toast warm inside. You also can get great photos.

Otherwise, a pair of binoculars can be utterly amazing for viewing the night sky and a lot easier to use than a telescope.
            For my birthday I was given a celestron powerseeker telescope. It seems a fine beginners bit of equipment.

Unfortunately, not had much of a chance to use it yet because of the cloudy sky.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
              For my birthday I was given a celestron powerseeker telescope. It seems a fine beginners bit of equipment.

Unfortunately, not had much of a chance to use it yet because of the cloudy sky.
              Ooh fab. If you can get photos via it, you should share!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Don't let the missus have a go or she'll want the ceiling repainted.
                You are using the wrong position, doggy is best.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  Ooh fab. If you can get photos via it, you should share!
                  I will give it a go, just trying to get to grips with the basics at the mo, but will work towards a few pictures.

Comment

Working...
                  X