• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will it be possible/worthwhile to buy a Roller later this year?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will it be possible/worthwhile to buy a Roller later this year?

So far, touch wood, I'm doing OK health and finance wise during this virus carry on, although who can say (of me or themselves) how long that will last?

But if it does for me, then maybe I can take advantage of the glut of goods and commodities that are likely to have built up by later this year.

So now may be the only chance I ever have to buy a flash car, and I've always fancied a Roller or Bentley. Would this be a good idea?

Everyone knows a Rolls is said to be a "poor man's car", as it is so reliable. But I read somewhere that even if nothing major is likely to go wrong, it needs constant minor tweaks, and models before about 1990 are quite prone to rust.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Moronic idea

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Moronic idea
      Not so fast.
      The classic car market has taken a knock with COVID.
      These cars are mileage sensitive.
      It could be a good time to buy something classic.
      New flashy not a good idea.
      Classic flash yes potentially buy soon.
      Talk to Hanwells for a roller: Bentley and Rolls-Royce | Hanwells: Sales, Servicing, Parts
      Don't use as primary vehicle
      Former IPSE member
      My Website

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        So now may be the only chance I ever have to buy a flash car, and I've always fancied a Roller or Bentley. Would this be a good idea?
        Go for it. You only live once!

Comment

This one even looks like a Brexiteer.

Comment

Originally posted by ravenshaw View Post

Hard to explain but in a way that car is almost cool in some way (or is it clever? Dunno) but anyway those horrible wrong way round type alloys and the awful exhausts drives me absolutely nuts. You put all that effort in and then use those? Just why? Dunno why those two items alone boil my piss looking at that car but they do.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

So far, touch wood, I'm doing OK health and finance wise during this virus carry on, although who can say (of me or themselves) how long that will last?

But if it does for me, then maybe I can take advantage of the glut of goods and commodities that are likely to have built up by later this year.

Everyone knows a Rolls is said to be a "poor man's car", as it is so reliable. But I read somewhere that even if nothing major is likely to go wrong, it needs constant minor tweaks, and models before about 1990 are quite prone to rust.
              I have known two people who bought cheapo Rolls and they had endless problems and expense with them.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by ravenshaw View Post

That car looks wrong on so many levels. Is it a kosher Rolls, or some bizarre mash up?

I'm inclined to believe Paddy, in that despite the saying about a "poor man's car" a Rolls would be a voracious money pit, and not just the petrol!
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

A three year old Continental Supersports would be my choice. I've got a GT Speed. If nothing goes wrong bank on 3-4k per year on servicing and consumables and a lot more than that on depreciation. Don't buy cheap, you'll regret it. Known main dealer service history and low mileage essential.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

That car looks wrong on so many levels. Is it a kosher Rolls, or some bizarre mash up?
                    Looks like the basis is an old MX-5. The windscreen and rear brake light are the biggest clues, I think.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X