• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to re-open the country

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like PC got denied Universal Credit

Comment

Hmmm. I didn't agree with the rant about teachers, but think the rest was sensible. Unfortunately, that rant seemed to have distracted from the rest.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
        Behave yourself PC, stop trying to wind him up. My daughter is thriving at home away from all the distractions of the unruly kids in her class, the teachers are able to do much to discipline them in school nowadays.

Most of my neighborhood seem to be loving furlough 80% to sit at home and redecorate, wait till taxes go up to pay for it.
        Spartie - ha ha there is that....

My daughter goes to school in one of the less pleasant parts of Newport. (Because its a welsh school). One of her friends Dad currently has free accomodation for the next 8 years thanks to the government - got caught dealing. Give away was the Koi Carp in his pond that hadn't been bought by saving your dole money.

Yeh no furlough for me. Working hard at home!
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
          On the acceptable number of deaths question that is the usual thing thrown around to hit someone over the head with...

I don't think any of us really get to decide that...

Lets be honest none of us think we can just ignore this thing and carry on as normal and neither do any of us really believe the current situation can carry on for any length of time - surely ?

The "acceptable number" isn't a real choice is it ? There is a balance to be struck and its going to involve a lot of death very sadly but we have very little choice over what that number will be in the end. Its the nature of a virus until you can get a vaccine or treatment against it sadly.

I just think its a response that comes out of the mouths of someone who is scared beyond sensibility and I get that - but those people shouldn't think they are presenting a reasonable argument I feel or are walking some greater moral ground.
          Yep its happening, we've got to deal with....

Playing the devils advocate. A LOT of people die in accidents on the roads every year. I'm assuming WAY more than Covid....
          Its a problem but do you ever see people demanding we stop driving on the roads?

I've seen people on facebook saying they've seen 3 people in their neighbours garden and wishing they'd get covid and die. Rarely do you see people say, I've seen my neighbour doing 40 in a 30 zone and I hope they crash and die.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Yep its happening, we've got to deal with....

Playing the devils advocate. A LOT of people die in accidents on the roads every year. I'm assuming WAY more than Covid....
            Its a problem but do you ever see people demanding we stop driving on the roads?

I've seen people on facebook saying they've seen 3 people in their neighbours garden and wishing they'd get covid and die. Rarely do you see people say, I've seen my neighbour doing 40 in a 30 zone and I hope they crash and die.
            “ Statistics on reported road casualties in Great Britain for the year ending June 2018 show there were: 1,770 reported road deaths.”

Reported road casualties in Great Britain, provisional estimates: year ending June 2018 - GOV.UK

About a few days worth of Covid, during lockdown

Comment

UK virus death toll passes 44,000 with more than 10,000 Covid-19 fatalities recorded in care homes, figures show | London Evening Standard

44,000 dead now.

But we don't care, we want money, fancy cars, luxury holidays!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Watch out, you'll upset Dr Minesy and Dr Whorty...
                https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2771740
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Then again - what about annual preventible deaths in the UK due to Air Pollution - or perhaps that is a price worth paying ?

"He's almost dead from breathing air pollution - he tried to vote but to him theres no solution"

Air pollution is the biggest environmental threat to health in the UK, with between 28,000 and 36,000 deaths a year attributed to long-term exposure. There is strong evidence that air pollution causes the development of coronary heart disease, stroke, respiratory disease and lung cancer, and exacerbates asthma.

Professor Paul Cosford, Director of Health Protection and Medical Director at PHE, said:

“Now is our opportunity to create a clean air generation of children, by implementing interventions in a coordinated way. By making new developments clean by design we can create a better environment for everyone, especially our children.”
                  Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 19 May 2020, 16:32.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Watch out, you'll upset Dr Minesy and Dr Whorty...
                    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2771740
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      Maybe if people didn't keeping breaking the social distancing rules, and we hadn't imported the virus into care homes, we'd have had less deaths.

Next .....
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X