• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Internet / Voice connected devices at home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
    Saying: "alexa translate Boris Johnson carot 100 into welsh" is worth the £35 and it never gets unfunny!
    ?

I knew about the 100 thing but that’s funny. The welsh accent is the cherry on top.

Comment

Saying: "alexa translate Boris Johnson carot 100 into welsh" is worth the £35 and it never gets unfunny!
      That was a replacement for "Jeremy Corbyn" but both are valid!
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I just don't have any of those devices in my house.

Still struggling to see any benefit from having them tbh.
        Same here.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Got the Alexa for a present once and it's not bad at times. Wouldn't have bought one myself though. Best bit about it is being able to change whatever anyone is listening remotely via spotify. Changing the soothing music track to the Macc Ladds when my other half is doing zoom yoga with her mum is priceless.

Apart from that it's just another thing in the house that can't understand what I say.
          Be even better if your mother in law was called Betty
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Dolphin232 View Post
            I was working for a big bank while working at home I had my Amazon echo dot at home in my office. In between meetings I had it merrily playing music in the background. When a meeting would start I would either mute it or press the button to turn it off.

In one particular conference call meeting I mispronounced a name and Alexa pipes up "I don't know that one!" It occurred that I had been discussing subjects and this think was always listening in. So I flagged it with internal security and I unplug any "listening devices" when I am working.

As more people are working at home there is a possibility of more opportunities for hackers. If your device is physically unplugged there is no chance of it picking up anything. So by doing this (In the same way as changing your door locks when you move into a new house - lowers insurance liability) you lower your personal liability on behalf of an employer or client.
            if you're worried about eavesdropping as you describe, you should be less worried about Alexa. It's cloud controlled and Amazon are gonna be quite good on security.
            Your smart TV is a different matter. Or your CCTV/webcam.
            Or the Windows XP laptop you've not got round to binning.

One of my clients has instructed all home workes to ensure that no Alexa type devices are in the room when they're on calls.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              if you're worried about eavesdropping as you describe, you should be less worried about Alexa. It's cloud controlled and Amazon are gonna be quite good on security.
              Your smart TV is a different matter. Or your CCTV/webcam.
              Or the Windows XP laptop you've not got round to binning.

One of my clients has instructed all home workes to ensure that no Alexa type devices are in the room when they're on calls.
              Have they also banned all smartphones? Siri, Google etc. are all lurking there listening to you.
              England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
                Have they also banned all smartphones? Siri, Google etc. are all lurking there listening to you.
                I didn't say I agree with the position. But no they haven't...
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

yep that amused me thanks!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
                    I have that feature disabled on my phone. Not that I believe it's no longer listening - I just don't get any "accidental" activations

Comment

I couldn't be bothered with Alexas etc. My constant swearing would probably make her blow up anyway.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X