• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Internet / Voice connected devices at home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet / Voice connected devices at home

I was working for a big bank while working at home I had my Amazon echo dot at home in my office. In between meetings I had it merrily playing music in the background. When a meeting would start I would either mute it or press the button to turn it off.

In one particular conference call meeting I mispronounced a name and Alexa pipes up "I don't know that one!" It occurred that I had been discussing subjects and this think was always listening in. So I flagged it with internal security and I unplug any "listening devices" when I am working.

As more people are working at home there is a possibility of more opportunities for hackers. If your device is physically unplugged there is no chance of it picking up anything. So by doing this (In the same way as changing your door locks when you move into a new house - lowers insurance liability) you lower your personal liability on behalf of an employer or client.

I just don't have any of those devices in my house.

Still struggling to see any benefit from having them tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

^^ This.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

You do. I just haven't said anything yet. /creepymode

So I flagged it with internal security
        Did they actually take it seriously?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Got the Alexa for a present once and it's not bad at times. Wouldn't have bought one myself though. Best bit about it is being able to change whatever anyone is listening remotely via spotify. Changing the soothing music track to the Macc Ladds when my other half is doing zoom yoga with her mum is priceless.

Apart from that it's just another thing in the house that can't understand what I say.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have 4 Echo / Echo Dots. I used them all, every day - listening to music / kitchen timers / stream Radio.

I do turn them into "no listen mode" when working!
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
              I have 4 Echo / Echo Dots. I used them all, every day - listening to music / kitchen timers / stream Radio.

"No listen mode". Yeah, right...

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post

Just putting it in No listen mode is not enough

Alexa Is Listening All The Time: Here's How To Stop It

Comment

Internet / Voice connected devices (No listen Mode)

Originally posted by HoofHearted View Post
                  "No listen mode". Yeah, right...
                  I have to agree they are still listening for the command word to reactivate. There are some workarounds (see below)
                  Alexa Is Listening All The Time: Here's How To Stop It

But, and this is a big but, if it is on and connected, hackers do not care about privacy. If they can workaround the not listening command....then they are listening. Its a bit like saying I can't drown because there is a dam between me and the water. If you are at the top of a mountain looking down at a dam...your risk of being drowned drops considerably ( waiting for the " what if a tsunami comes in and covers the mountain!"...get in a helicopter??!)

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                    ^^ This.
                    Saying: "alexa translate Boris Johnson carot 100 into welsh" is worth the £35 and it never gets unfunny!
                    Former IPSE member
                    My Website

Comment

Working...
                    X