• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Weird Linkedin contacts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Linkedin contacts

Hi Folks,
    Anyone else seeing weird stuff on LinkedIn? 3 times now I've had Indian recruiters (Silverlink, Black Apple etc) contact me from other people's LinkedIn account. I asked one guy why he was contacting me from the account of a BA at Wells Fargo and he said. "My LinkedIn is broken so I am using my friend's."

Comes across as very dodgy. Have LinkedIn started making it hard to sign up for accounts or something?
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Hi Folks,
    Anyone else seeing weird stuff on LinkedIn? 3 times now I've had Indian recruiters (Silverlink, Black Apple etc) contact me from other people's LinkedIn account. I asked one guy why he was contacting me from the account of a BA at Wells Fargo and he said. "My LinkedIn is broken so I am using my friend's."

Comes across as very dodgy. Have LinkedIn started making it hard to sign up for accounts or something?
    I've had this, they pretend to be from a company you have done work for and try to friend you. My guess is they are after your contacts.

Comment

I have seen it a few times, not only Indian agencies, they say they are using their manager's account but don't explain why

Comment

My guess is that they've have their main accounts banned and suspended. I report them to LinkedIn and block.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          My guess is that they've have their main accounts banned and suspended. I report them to LinkedIn and block.
          But why can't they just set up a new one? Is there some antispam bot thing that works on IP addresses? I'm not even sure how that'd work given loads of them are probably behind a NATted firewall?
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Linkedin have been doing things to block recruiters for a long time.

I know this from when I was a shareholder and sometimes interim manager at a recruitment agency.
            Linked have the view that recruiters should ONLY be using Linkedin recruiter, which costs.

So they limit accounts, recruiters simply create duplicate accounts with some posing as working for companies they have never worked for in order to avoid paying for Linkedin recruiter. They have also started blocking same name at same company accounts from having linkedin accounts.

Recruitrs have been signing up for 3+ accounts each using hotmail accounts etc. You can only run about 30 searches a month on Linkedin without Premium or recruiter. Most recruiters would use up 30 searches in under a week.

You would be surpised at how many recruiters are NOT provided with recruiter level Linkedin by their employers. For example Sthree agencies and Hays do not provide it as standard for their staff.
            Former IPSE member
            My Website

Comment

Working...
            X