• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Move to a tax haven like the Isle of Man

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
    Remember, if you're gonna work in the UK, time zones. It might be nice to live in rural japan and wander the countryside but if your work day starts at 11pm rise and shine, you'll have to find a quiet izakaya to have your corn flakes and asahi for that daily standup
    Or do the UK night shift from somewhere exotic....

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
      Remember, if you're gonna work in the UK, time zones. It might be nice to live in rural japan and wander the countryside but if your work day starts at 11pm rise and shine, you'll have to find a quiet izakaya to have your corn flakes and asahi for that daily standup
      Exactly. Thime zones are a big deal. It's not just about being about tired - it's about being in a completely different frame of mind to the people you are talking / skyping with.

A few video conferences with people who are just revving up in the morning in Europe when it is G&T time in Asia teaches that the hard way.

Comment

Moved to Jersey a couple of years ago now.

Great lifestyle and no more commuting.

Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Originally posted by vadhert View Post
          Moved to Jersey a couple of years ago now.

Great lifestyle and no more commuting.

I found Jersey rather boring, however, the Occupation Museum (founded by a German soldier who remained on the island after WW2) was fascinating. I am not sure if the same museum is still there. It was a real insight to see evidence of the collaboration of the local British with the SS.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Cayman Islands or British Virgin Islands.

I chose IoM due to proximity to UK, but yes, I would choose somewhere with fine weather and dusky maidens.
            But the females on the IOM are very friendly, as I found out on a rugby tour just after my divorce. Managed a hat trick which did wonders for my morale!
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
              But the females on the IOM are very friendly, as I found out on a rugby tour just after my divorce. Managed a hat trick which did wonders for my morale!
              Yeah, they need to breed outside of the family.
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
              Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

I did a few months on Guernsey 9 years ago.
                I would go back but I reckon I would go through a wheelchair a month, hills and crap paving
                Lots of top totty though
                Former IPSE member
                My Website

Comment

I think working from home won’t be the norm and is only a temporary solution. Work in itself is a way of keeping population under control. Keeping them busy so that they do not cause trouble. The grief in itself is considered the reward and what gives people meaning.
                  It won’t become the norm as multiple layers of unnecessary management won’t be able to justify their presence. It will be perceived as an injustice by the other categories in the society that have to be present in an office.
                  Most of you will be sent to the office with the risk of dyeing. Figures will be fudged, facts will be fabricated and everyone will be back to grinding in the corporate hamster wheel quite soon.
                  It is just too much freedom the establishment thinks people are allowed to have. Might be manageable for few odd people but not for a good part of the population. Another reason is that they won’t allow people to get UK income and just spend the most of it in France or somewhere else. Economy and currency doesn’t work that way so they’ll make the best so you won’t live country and live with 20% of what you earn then tell them to shove it. They want you to depend on their salary, to be over-the-head in debt so that they can motivate you to come to work.
                  Just my two cents.

But I would greatly enjoy it if it happens. Getting a nice villa in a remote place. Having sun, nice views, beautiful women and decent income... could be the life.

Comment

WALOOB

Comment

Working...
                    X