• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Move to a tax haven like the Isle of Man

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Move to a tax haven like the Isle of Man

Let's face it, remote working is going to be the norm now.

And the other fact is that taxes are going to rise so high it will make Labour in the 1970's look like amateurs.

So, time to upsticks to a tax haven like the Isle of Man and work and bill remotely?

Surely pick a tax haven with better weather?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Surely pick a tax haven with better weather?
      Cayman Islands or British Virgin Islands.

I chose IoM due to proximity to UK, but yes, I would choose somewhere with fine weather and dusky maidens.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Let's face it, remote working is going to be the norm now.

And the other fact is that taxes are going to rise so high it will make Labour in the 1970's look like amateurs.

So, time to upsticks to a tax haven like the Isle of Man and work and bill remotely?

I did a couple of years on the IOM; apart from being boring and very wet, there are many offshore banks and businesses (not all of them) that just have a registered IOM unmanned office with just some servers. Phones are redirected there you don't actually have to stay in the IOM to gain tax benefits. However, even for Brits, you will need a work permit to work on the IOM. The Channel Islands are a better option but there are restrictions for non-locals buying property. You could try Gibraltar, but why they find out that you voted for Brexit; they will push you off the rock.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

.. I would choose somewhere with fine weather and dusky maidens
          and you with an other half, as you told us only a day or two ago .. tut tut!

If she has any say, after seeing that, you'll probably end up remote working from somewhere like Murmansk!
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I thought I will never say that but Canada or New Zealand now looks very attractive and they don't have IR35.

Comment

In the past a lot of people thought "I'd like to live there, but tax is very high compared to being an IT Contractor outside IR35"

I think that has changed now.

Comment

WFH. an start new cycle of outsourcing of IT work - not to Isle of Man

Comment

I quite like the Isle of Man, especially if you are the outdoor type. I don't like that everyone knows each other and their private business.

People that I know that live there tend to get away from the island for a couple months each year to keep sane.

Comment

Remember, if you're gonna work in the UK, time zones. It might be nice to live in rural japan and wander the countryside but if your work day starts at 11pm rise and shine, you'll have to find a quiet izakaya to have your corn flakes and asahi for that daily standup

Comment

Working...
                    X