• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So anyone else had enough of WFH?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    for MrsCFL
    +1
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I've been doing it for quite a few years and not been into an office for over 2 years now. Mentally tough at times, but not as tough as a tulip train with twice as many people as seats twice a day. No good if you are a young un.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        for MrsCFL
        +1

WLMS.
        ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
        Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Like others I love WFH not having to travel and stay in a hotel is bliss, not forgetting quality time with the family. If anything I'm flourishing in lockdown even though many people are struggling with the current restrictions.
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

WFH.

Saves a lot of people a lot of time, that they can spend instead exercising, with family, relaxing, doing hobbies etc
            Saves a lot of money for many people.
            Reduces pollution and congestion.

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
              +1

WLMS.
              +1

That's a job I could not do, hats off to her
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
                I feel better than ever thanks to WFH.

I never understood the concept of having to travel to office. Most people sit by the desk whole day and only occasionally chat to each other. If you think about, the whole public transport infrastructure has been created only so that you can chat to colleagues from time to time. That was invented when there was no internet and real-time communication with multiple people at the same time was difficult to be done remotely.
                People I know who love to come to office are those who live with an abusive partner or have young kids and control freaks. This is their escape or dopamine.

I think offices should be transformed into some sort of shelters, where people who can't work from home could find space and on-site therapist.
                Not everyone is an office worker....

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  WFH.

Saves a lot of people a lot of time, that they can spend instead exercising, with family, relaxing, doing hobbies etc
                  Saves a lot of money for many people.
                  Reduces pollution and congestion.

I'm hoping companies will adapt and this will become the new norm in terms of working, the effect it's had on lowering pollution has been fantastic.
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                    I'm hoping companies will adapt and this will become the new norm in terms of working, the effect it's had on lowering pollution has been fantastic.
                    Yeah I agree.

It's been the right thing to do for a long time and it actually makes the most business sense. Most companies just either didn't know how to do it from a systems/management/communications pov without loss of productivity or they didn't understand the benefits.

I think the fact they have been forced to figure it out from an operational point of view solved one of the major problems. Hopefully they will understand the benefits. One of which is this is a no-cost benefit to employees that makes them more attractive as an employer, actually can reduce costs if done correctly.

Besides the benefits to the business it's also beneficial to society as you mentioned but I'm sure most business owners care less about that. I am sure at least a couple big corps will take advantage of the PR around this virus and the awareness of environmental impact and will push out a marketing campaign about how green they are and how they are doing the right thing by keeping their employees at home to save the planet. I'm sure it'll be done purely for commercial aspects but who cares if the benefit to society is real. Would be great if it was a catalyst for other companies to follow suit.

I could see it happening, or not. Who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                      Yeah I agree.

It's been the right thing to do for a long time and it actually makes the most business sense. Most companies just either didn't know how to do it from a systems/management/communications pov without loss of productivity or they didn't understand the benefits.

I think the fact they have been forced to figure it out from an operational point of view solved one of the major problems. Hopefully they will understand the benefits. One of which is this is a no-cost benefit to employees that makes them more attractive as an employer, actually can reduce costs if done correctly.

Besides the benefits to the business it's also beneficial to society as you mentioned but I'm sure most business owners care less about that. I am sure at least a couple big corps will take advantage of the PR around this virus and the awareness of environmental impact and will push out a marketing campaign about how green they are and how they are doing the right thing by keeping their employees at home to save the planet. I'm sure it'll be done purely for commercial aspects but who cares if the benefit to society is real. Would be great if it was a catalyst for other companies to follow suit.

I could see it happening, or not. Who knows.
                      I believe Twitter anounced that all their staff will continue to work from home on a permanent basis from now on, in terms of office space and rent I'm sure it would greatly benefit businesses to be able to offload these expenses. Not to mention that you're not limited for talent geographically if you have remote workers, something I saw recently at a government department in Swansea is that they could not get the resources they needed and ended up paying through the nose for contractors great if you've got an unlimited pot of money or a magic money tree
                      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                      X