• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

plenty worse off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plenty worse off

Coronavirus and the social impacts on Great Britain - Office for National Statistics

Just under 1 in 4 adults (23%) said the coronavirus was affecting their household finances, and this is consistent with the results from previous weeks. The most common concern among these adults continued to be a reduced income (73%). Issues with different aspects of savings are also important this week with 33% saying they had needed to use savings to cover living costs, 25% saying they were unable to save as usual and 20% saying their savings value is being affected (Figure 3).
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Probably we will have to change name to Been Better Britain or just BBB to save on the ink.

Comment

Imagine being Bean's Mum, stuck indoors trying to home educate him.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Imagine being Bean's Mum, stuck indoors trying to home educate him.
        tulip is going to hit the fan in the coming weeks /months. Lots are going to have a massive wake up call when furlough ends and the jobs really start to go.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
          tulip is going to hit the fan in the coming weeks /months. Lots are going to have a massive wake up call when furlough ends and the jobs really start to go.

Yep its going to get nasty unfortunately.

Comment

Perversely staying at home reduces some expenses, but also kills lots of jobs

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Perversely staying at home reduces some expenses, but also kills lots of jobs

The government could use the situation to change the way many of the companies operate and safeguard industries if they wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                The government could use the situation to change the way many of the companies operate and safeguard industries if they wanted.
                That is in reality a huge circle to square. Cherry picking an industry like aviation. Its hard to see how you change it, keep it viable and if you can't whats the point in safeguarding it ?

I think the reality is we are all going to have to accept the default risk of various industries and the risk of both using those services and working in them.

Hearing Teachers today talking about only wanting to return to the classroom when it is safe - it won't ever be safe - and it never really was (flu - meningitis - chickenpox).

Comment

20% saying their savings value is being affected
                  I'd have thought more like 100% of those who have any savings must have been affected. Perhaps a few canny people saw the stock market crash coming and knew what to do but daresay most of us didn't.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
                    That is in reality a huge circle to square. Cherry picking an industry like aviation. Its hard to see how you change it, keep it viable and if you can't whats the point in safeguarding it ?

I think the reality is we are all going to have to accept the default risk of various industries and the risk of both using those services and working in them.

Hearing Teachers today talking about only wanting to return to the classroom when it is safe - it won't ever be safe - and it never really was (flu - meningitis - chickenpox).

Aviation has many challenges in this situation but as part of the tourism industry there are many things we can do.

I was thinking more of the transition of shops to online, manufacturing to use more robotics , the rise of automation etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X