• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lazy arse method of making bread (if you don't have a breadmaking machine)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lazy arse method of making bread (if you don't have a breadmaking machine)

I've been making bread this way for several weeks and the results are pretty consistent. The loaf produced is a bit of an odd shape (round and squat) but, if you can live with that, it's fairly decent bread.

Benefits
    No kneading or fannying about. No flour or mess everywhere. Only cleaning up is a wipe of the knife and a quick scrub of the cake pan.

Equipment
    Approx 7" diameter by 2" deep silicon cake pan eg.
    SILICON CAKE TIN MOULD: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home
    Cutlery knife
    Metal baking sheet
    Scales (obviously)
    Wire rack (eg. from grill pan)

Ingredients
    250g bread flour (I've been using 50/50 wholemeal/white)
    1 level teaspoon fast acting bread yeast
    180g hot water (I use half boiling, half cold)

Oven
    210°C conventional, 200°C fan

Method
    Put flour and yeast in cake pan, and mix a bit with the cutlery knife.
    Add water and mix with knife until all the flour and water are combined into a wet dough.
    Use the knife to level it out.
    Cover pan with the baking sheet (to prevent dough drying out) and leave to rise for about 1 hour.
    Place pan on baking sheet, and whack it in pre-heated oven for 30 mins.
    Turn loaf out on to rack to cool.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

No salt in the dough?

Comment

Gotta have salt (5g in this case I would have thought...).
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

where I live it's easier to buy bread than yeast....
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          True - I had a mate send me some that she had bought before the lockdown.

I'm using sourdough starter at the moment, but I did buy a small pack of white bread mix that I found in Tescos (no shame in it).
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            No salt in the dough?
            Nope. Tried it with, and without, and couldn't taste much difference.
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

YG1 is coeliac so we can't cook with gluten containing flour, as is get in the air. GF bread works pretty well with a breadmaker, but I cannot find GF bread mix anywhere...

I do miss home baked wheat and rye based bread.

Comment

Same here but I bought a shed load of flour before the lockdown.

Comment

Had a block of fresh yeast a couple of weeks ago, so made some quick wholemeal loaves, but sourdough is great once you have a good starter.
                  The Wife (tm) also got some dry yeast last week, I might use it soon.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I’m making a lot of Japanese milk bread (Hokkaido milk bread) at the moment. It is wonderfully soft and is supposed to last well as it’s made with a roux (tangzhong). However it gets eaten too quickly to test that theory out!
                    It does require a bit of faffing but is really, really worth it. I’ve started adding things like dried wild garlic and herbs to it now and it’s worked well.
                    Next thing to try is to make sweet rolls with it with either an almond or cinnamon paste filling.

I can also heartily recommend Japanese cotton cheesecake too. It’s like nothing you’ve ever tried before.

I had a load of dried yeast in before lockdown and have bought a 16Kg bag of flour, which made me very popular with the carers and neighbours as I was happy to give lots away!
                    Last edited by Pogle; 15 May 2020, 13:16.
                    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                    X