• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just a mild flu innit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a mild flu innit

'Weird as hell’: the Covid-19 patients who have symptoms for months | World news | The Guardian

Some people don't die, they linger on with long term health impact.

You read the Guardian now?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      You read the Guardian now?
      With the help of a grown-up, yes.

Comment

50% of people who contract the virus have it so mild they won't even know they've had it
        25% of people will have very mild symptoms, no worse than a cold. They may suspect they have it but won't really be sure.
        15% of people will feel ill, not dissimilar to the flu and will need to take it easy as they would with the flu
        10% will have it bad. They will require hospital treatment
        Of this 10%, about 10%-15% will die (so a death rate of about 1%-1.5%)

Of those in the UK who have died, about 25% have had diabetes as an underlying illness. We know obesity is a problem with this virus too. It's fair to assume the diabetes for the victims will be caused by them being obese in quite a few instances.

A high number of UK deaths are from care homes (30-40% is the estimate). The virus was 'imported' into the care homes. We know older patients and those with underlying illnesses are more at risk.

Very few younger people, or those with no underlying illnesses have died due to this virus in the UK. There are a few, but as with all illnesses, there are always outliers.

Testing in the UK over a 2 week period gave an estimate of roughly 1 in 400 people having the virus at any one time, in the general population (so, excluding care homes and hospitals)

So, what does all this mean?
        If you're a generally healthy individual, not overweight, not a smoker, not 'older', not in a high risk environment (i.e. not a hospital or care worker) then you would be very unlucky to get the virus, and if you do catch the virus, you'd be unlucky to then be in the 10% that needs hospital treatment.

Unless you travel on densely packed public transport I'm betting none of us meet, on a normal day, anywhere near 400 people, of whom, on average, only 1 is likely to be infected. Steer clear of these scenarios and you are unlikely to come into contact with anyone who is infected.

So, you can live your life scared, or you can look at the facts and live your life with common sense. Your choice fella.

The people who need to worry are those who live in care homes and those who are required to go into hospitals due to their other underlying illnesses.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

"There is growing evidence"

That there is the Guardian.

They don't have evidence.

The rest if the article is made up of "estimates" from a person who self refers himself as having a "muggy head" who "partners wonder if there is something psychologically wrong with them.”

Comment

and another predictable LOOB from swindon

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              Don't blame me, I'm just bringing you facts from the Grauniad ...

Comment

He adds: “We are the country that invented epidemiology. We haven’t produced any epidemiological studies other than the app. It’s kind of embarrassing.”
                Covid-19 tracking app must satisfy human rights and data laws | World news | The Guardian
                For non-intrusive tracking of Covid-19, smartphones have to be smarter | John Naughton | Opinion | The Guardian
                Digital contact tracing will fail unless privacy is respected, experts warn | World news | The Guardian
                UK government using confidential patient data in coronavirus response | World news | The Guardian

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                  Charts or it didn't happen
                  "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

When I read Guardian I have this feeling that a ghost of Lenin is rummaging through my wallet.

Comment

Working...
                    X