• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coding that led to lockdown was 'totally unreliable' and a 'buggy mess', say experts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
    Most of the times I post here is while being drunk,
    This explains a lot

but that does not mean what I say is not true.
    Yes it does

If the truth goes against what makes you happy and the way you perceive the world around you, and what gives you perceived "value" in this society than any argument I make, no matter how plausible, would be fought by every fibre of you.
    You don't post the truth. You ramble and rant drunken drivel. You have zero idea what makes me happy.

Those who understand should make their decisions accordingly. I'll deviate a bit - there is this channel Tech Lead: Are Facebook employees depressed? (H1B slavery visa & abuse) - and it mentions that in Silicon Valley some employers only do mock-up interviews with the people around the area just to show they are searching for resources locally and would go for the ones with shorter strings attached - H1B visa. And some other issues...
    It is very much alike to how the establishment is treating people here how.
    What's this got to do with coronavirus? And why do I give 2 flying fooks what's going on in America?
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

I did a gig for 2.5 years with some government scientists.

About 70% of them are totally useless and not worth your time of day. I was fortunate and was working directly with some of the best but spent a lot of time getting them to understand the basics.

Even understanding the utility of a repeatable function that takes alternate parameters was an uphill struggle, these guys write programs as bloody great copy and paste scripts with alternate values. Prone to a mass of typos.

The worst make no mathematical sense at all and just seem to perform random mathematical operations on disparate values - these are the charlatans of course.

Government science needs some "rationalisation" I think.

Comment

That I realised a long time ago. But the extent of how much people lie themselves to stay happy surprises me everyday.
        "Always look on the bright side of life".

It's what keeps me going.

And the difficulty of knocking that 3rd nail in without assistance.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          T

It's not about sacrificing people, it's about trying to protect the most vulnerable whilst not destroying society. Importing infected old people back into care homes is partly why were are where we are today, not because we locked down 3 weeks too late.
          That's not quite true, the care homes should have been able to deal with it through rigorous infection control. They do this, or should, for influenza and norovirus
          Leeds City Council run homes have accepted CVID19 positive people and effectively barrier cared for them, in the homes where people have tested positive it has been staff bringing it in. But they have had no high death rates and no spread. A lot of the high death rates in Leeds has been in the private run homes. This is more the question. Services are contracted out to the cheapest bidders, get what you pay for.
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
            That's not quite true, the care homes should have been able to deal with it through rigorous infection control. They do this, or should, for influenza and norovirus
            Leeds City Council run homes have accepted CVID19 positive people and effectively barrier cared for them, in the homes where people have tested positive it has been staff bringing it in. But they have had no high death rates and no spread. A lot of the high death rates in Leeds has been in the private run homes. This is more the question. Services are contracted out to the cheapest bidders, get what you pay for.
            I agree, care homes should have been able to cope and under normal times, when it's just one or 2 care homes dealing with a flu or norovirus outbreak, but these aren't normal times. Care homes have (had) a shortage of PPE and presumably had a shortage of staff as some were self isolating.

But still, infected patients were being sent back to care homes and clearly a high number of these care homes were not geared up for this. The fact that we've had such a high number of deaths in the care home environment surely shows that we have had a major system breakdown?

As I've said on other threads, this virus has shed a light on our care sector which has not had the best reputation for some years. I get the feeling from your post that we both agree that care homes should not be privately run, and should fall under the NHS or at the very least not-for-profit sector.
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              I agree, care homes should have been able to cope and under normal times, when it's just one or 2 care homes dealing with a flu or norovirus outbreak, but these aren't normal times. Care homes have (had) a shortage of PPE and presumably had a shortage of staff as some were self isolating.

But still, infected patients were being sent back to care homes and clearly a high number of these care homes were not geared up for this. The fact that we've had such a high number of deaths in the care home environment surely shows that we have had a major system breakdown?

As I've said on other threads, this virus has shed a light on our care sector which has not had the best reputation for some years. I get the feeling from your post that we both agree that care homes should not be privately run, and should fall under the NHS or at the very least not-for-profit sector.
              Privately run care homes don't have the same resources to call on as those run by the LA, but they shouldn't have been accepting people if they didn't and couldn't make sure they kept the rest of the residents safe, but a full bed = money!.

Trouble is Council run homes are vastly more expensive mainly to do with staffing costs made worse by an over generous sick leave which a small minority do abuse. It can take 2 years to get rid of continually 'sick' person, but for every hour they don't work the hourly rate increases as you can't run a shift 'light'. So its down to overtime or agency rates on top.
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

According to Private Eye this model was brought to you by the same bloke that modelled the Foot and Mouth outbreak a few years ago. The NAO slammed that model also when it was discovered that it predicted more than 400 new cases a day when in actual fact there were only 8. This resulted in the needless culling of millions of farm animals. He was given an OBE and promotion to SAGE. Post devastation the enquiry found the model was 'not fit for purpose'

Comment

Working...
                X