• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coding that led to lockdown was 'totally unreliable' and a 'buggy mess', say experts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Oooh, FORTRAN ... I used to program in that back in my statistician days (late 80s/early 90s). FORTRAN77 to be precise

I then moved on to DBASE III/IV and Clipper ... those were the good old days
    One of my first paying jobs was writing libraries in Modula-2 to access and process DBASE IV. Got the processing run time from 30 minutes to a few seconds.

I've recently been taking a prototype made by data scientists and converting it so it runs in ABAP in BW (SAP systems). They're somewhat stunned at the rigour that's involved. "Automated unit tests? What are they?". Oh - and that it pretty much worked first time, and when they make changes to the model, if any changes are needed at all, it's just a few tweaks.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      “ The model, credited with forcing the Government to make a U-turn and introduce a nationwide lockdown, is a “buggy mess that looks more like a bowl of angel hair pasta than a finely tuned piece of programming”, says David Richards, co-founder of British data technology company WANdisco.”

Coding that led to lockdown was 'totally unreliable' and a 'buggy mess', say experts

The code is utterly crap. It is student level stuff. I mean "I have a parameter and I'm going to call it p" tulip.

Comment

His “crap” code saved lots of people worldwide from nasty death and even more from kong term suffering from this virus.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          His “crap” code saved lots of people worldwide from nasty death and even more from kong term suffering from this virus.
          Measurably.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
            I won't waste my time getting into detail but: Secret services definitely knew when it happened. This is how it works, all countries have vast networks of people with the sole purpose of getting information before it goes out.

My take is that the establishment simply does not care about you, these measures so far have been in place just to give the impression of "taking action" the call to get back to normal will come soon irrespective of the consequences. Even the IT people or engineering or everyone that could have worked just as well from home. Because modern workforce it is not only about productivity and doing the rational thing... it is also about keeping population under control. Suppressing anyone that might pose a risk to the "status quo".
            So basically few more will dye, you'll be sent to the office during periods of high stress just because the establishment does not want you to get used to more freedom.
            It will become clear over few weeks, when the hush hushed call to get back to the office from managers will arise. They will have to develop wise plots to give the impression that "caring workers" decided to come on their own.
            If you don't want to have here the brainwashed America and have your kids over the head in debt doing meaningless work in the corporate chain so that they can afford to survive, I would think differently.
            To be fair to you, your incoherent rant doesn't go into any detail, well, certainly nothing rational anyway
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

To be fair to you, your incoherent rant doesn't go into any detail, well, certainly nothing rational anyway
              The tin foil hat he was wearing while posting didn't convince you?
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Most of the times I post here is while being drunk, but that does not mean what I say is not true.

If the truth goes against what makes you happy and the way you perceive the world around you, and what gives you perceived "value" in this society than any argument I make, no matter how plausible, would be fought by every fibre of you.

Those who understand should make their decisions accordingly. I'll deviate a bit - there is this channel Tech Lead: Are Facebook employees depressed? (H1B slavery visa & abuse) - and it mentions that in Silicon Valley some employers only do mock-up interviews with the people around the area just to show they are searching for resources locally and would go for the ones with shorter strings attached - H1B visa. And some other issues...
                It is very much alike to how the establishment is treating people here how.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                  My take is that the establishment simply does not care about you
                  It's taken this long to realise that we're all cannon fodder?

It was ever thus.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                    It's taken this long to realise that we're all cannon fodder?

It was ever thus.
                    That I realised a long time ago. But the extent of how much people lie themselves to stay happy surprises me everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      The tin foil hat he was wearing while posting didn't convince you?
                      Nah ...
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X