• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coding that led to lockdown was 'totally unreliable' and a 'buggy mess', say experts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coding that led to lockdown was 'totally unreliable' and a 'buggy mess', say experts

“ The model, credited with forcing the Government to make a U-turn and introduce a nationwide lockdown, is a “buggy mess that looks more like a bowl of angel hair pasta than a finely tuned piece of programming”, says David Richards, co-founder of British data technology company WANdisco.”

10 ' COVID-19 Program!
    20 TextWindow.WriteLine("Type number of daily suspected infections")
    30 number = TextWindow.Read()
    40 TextWindow.WriteLine(" Tommorow there will be " + number*2 + " COVID-19 infections ")
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Is this part of the effort to discredit purpose of the lockdown in the firstplace and herd the plebs back to the office?
      Same lockdown that was put in place way to late and lead to the highest number of deaths in Europe?

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
        Is this part of the effort to discredit purpose of the lockdown in the firstplace and herd the plebs back to the office??
        Yup

Comment

Scientific programming is always crap. Write your program, solve your problem, throw the program away.

That's why Fortran was such a boon to scientists when invented.(According to the comments on the current article in The Register about ALGOL 60).
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Scientific programming is always crap. Write your program, solve your problem, throw the program away. ..
            Not throw it away.

Give it to generations of postdocs to adapt for their requirements, so that it becomes ever more opaque and incoherent, like Chinese whispers.

Oh and ensure the postdocs are up against pressing deadlines, so they have no time to fully understand the program or make improvements.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Ensure by the deft use of EQUIVALENCE and Arithmetic IF along with 15 page DO loops that no one has the slightest idea of WTF it's doing.

Sorted.

If you can include an ASSIGNED GOTO then it's sorted**2.

AndNeverEverUseWhiteSpaceSinceFORTRANignoresIt
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                Is this part of the effort to discredit purpose of the lockdown in the firstplace and herd the plebs back to the office?
                Same lockdown that was put in place way to late and lead to the highest number of deaths in Europe?
                Almost half of our deaths are via care homes. Care homes 'locked down' before the rest of the country. The virus was introduced to care homes by sending back infected patients from hospital, to clear beds.

Had we protected care homes from the start we'd almost certainly have a lot less deaths than currently.

HTH
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Scientific programming is always crap. Write your program, solve your problem, throw the program away.

That's why Fortran was such a boon to scientists when invented.(According to the comments on the current article in The Register about ALGOL 60).
                  Oooh, FORTRAN ... I used to program in that back in my statistician days (late 80s/early 90s). FORTRAN77 to be precise

I then moved on to DBASE III/IV and Clipper ... those were the good old days
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

I thought scientists these days start off with the results and then work their way backwards to find right participants and conditions that will meet ordered outcome.

Scientists today have the same problem as medieval painters used to have - they need to paint the picture that makes the client happy, there is no place for ugly truth.

Comment

Working...
                    X