• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ipse have a new supreme leader

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ipse have a new supreme leader

Originally posted by ArgieBee View Post
    Ms Clarke is a non-elected director too?
    It may have changed over the last 6 years, but wasn't there a rule that there could not be more non-elected than elected directors?
    So the departure of Ms Nabavi may have been necessary after the departure of Ms Morgan?

P.S. still catching up on 6 years of history
    Mr Searle was TheFaQQer? and was part of the CUK candidates elected to the CC in 2015?
    Mandy got elected by her friends on the CC (I marked her last) and promptly stabbed them in the back with Caroline [emoji4]

Annette got about £200K from ipse for doing nothing, but to be fair she did more than Mandy and Caroline

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Last edited by GhostofTarbera; 16 July 2020, 21:04.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      The board that worked with them felt their contributions to be very useful and had a lot of respect for them.
      Playing devil's advocate, the boards that worked with them showed utter incompetence and lack of judgment over several years, so that is hardly a glowing reference?

Did any good from this slow motion train crash?

As far as I can see:
      a) they threw away a brand because they thought it had negative value
      b) wasted a large amount of money
      c) failed to deliver on the unicorn hunt to create a organization for the 4.x million self employed (or 1.6 million freelancers)
      d) failed to stop the IR35 changes in the public and now private sector that haven't been great for contractors
      e) managed to alienate its most dedicated supporters
      f) and potentially led to the terminal end of organization in a few years

Anything I missed?

Comment

Playing devil's advocate, the boards that worked with them showed utter incompetence and lack of judgment over several years, so that is hardly a glowing reference?

As far as I can see:
        c) failed to deliver on the unicorn hunt to create a organization for the 4.x million self employed (or 1.6 million freelancers)
        d) failed to stop the IR35 changes in the public and now private sector that haven't been great for contractors

Anything I missed?
        Discount Vouchers that didn't really work ?
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Perkbox is pretty handy

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Perkbox is pretty handy
            Exactly. A benefit of membership for members.
            All the pointless crusading and efforts to diversify were a diversion from being 100% focused on delivering benefits to the membership.
            Maybe the new leadership will recognise that a lot of waste needs to be removed, and now resources must entirely be concentrated on what members will benefit from and not the vainglorious foolishness of the past.

Or maybe I'm just having Twitter withdrawal symptoms and trolling

Comment

Exactly. A benefit of membership for members.
              All the pointless crusading and efforts to diversify were a diversion from being 100% focused on delivering benefits to the membership.
              Maybe the new leadership will recognise that a lot of waste needs to be removed, and now resources must entirely be concentrated on what members will benefit from and not the vainglorious foolishness of the past.

Or maybe I'm just having Twitter withdrawal symptoms and trolling
              I don't disagree - IMO the focus of IPSE should be on things that benefit the members directly. The mudskipper rule of thumb would be 80/20 - 80% of funds get spent on stuff that benefits the majority of members, 20% on diversification and other stuff - if and when that yields results and the artisan cheese makers make up a significant proportion of members, then they're part of the 80 pot.

But yep, perkbox is good (And the rebrand predates the iNeds)

Comment

As far as I can see:

No, it did have negative value. MPs simply got bored of IR35 and stopped listening. IPSE has a far better level of access to Westminster (OK, whether or not that's doing any good is a whole other question - but they are at least at the table).
                Debatable. Spent a lot, perhaps.
                Actually no, that organisation is there and is making progress. Far too slow and their PR is rubbish, but it has not yet failed. They have had some successes - sadly not in areas that affect us.
                They tried their best, as did many others. HMG - or perhaps HMT is more accurate - simply aren't listening to rational argument and will stick to their outdated world view come what may.
                Again, debatable. The CC that got binned was a shadow of the one we were on
                Maybe. Is there a place for such an organisation post 2021? That remains to be seen.

Anything I missed?
                Only that there are two sides to this story...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                  Mandy got elected by her friends on the CC (I marked her last) and promptly stabbed them in the back with Caroline [emoji4]

Annette got about £200K from ipse for doing nothing, but to be fair she did more than Mandy and Caroline

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                  not the only one who marked her last,
                  she dosent exactlyl have what i would call an impressive CV either
                  Former IPSE member
                  My Website

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    No, it did have negative value. MPs simply got bored of IR35 and stopped listening. IPSE has a far better level of access to Westminster (OK, whether or not that's doing any good is a whole other question - but they are at least at the table).
                    That was the unbelievably crazy, mind-blowingly twisted logic that the strategy was based on. Apparently "stakeholders" (mainly civil servants rather MPs IIRC) were tired of the PCG complaining about IR35, so it needed a rebrand that lobbied on other things and was a lot less "shouty" about IR35. This doesn't appear to have turned out well.

Despite the vast majority of freelancers never having heard of the PCG (and awareness among IT/engineering contractors was quite low too), Levvy's work managed at the same time to convince people that non-members had negative views of the PCG (as opposed the the membership who were quite happy).

I think I suggested there could be multiple brands with different messages but that was never going to be acceptable.

Comment

Working...
                    X